|

Reference to a Reference

Have you come across a good book, story or narrative regarding lighthouses, keepers, or lighthouse-related material? Share it here.

Postby Grover1 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:25 pm

From Seacoast Online ...

Under the byline of Rebecca Rule ...
Sometimes the only way to get a song out of my head is to write about it. This one's been rattling around for days. Willie Nelson and Julio Iglesias sang to all the girls they loved before. In my mind, though, the song goes: "To all the books I should have read . . . ."

"Friendly Edifices: Piscataqua Lighthouses and Other Aids to Navigation 1771-1939" by Jane Molloy Porter. The big books linger, as I anticipate a week with lots of time to read. (Almost never happens.) This tome of more than 500 pages was published by the Portsmouth Marine Society. The author, formerly Keeper of the Portsmouth Athenaeum, shines a light on individual lighthouses, including the Nubble in York, "perhaps the most photographed light in the world." Porter writes of lighthouse keepers and famous people associated with them, like the poet Celia Thaxter, the artist Childe Hassam, and the last royal governor, John Wentworth. She covers design, construction, maintenance, equipment, even the politics of placing and funding lighthouses. Available from portsmouthmarinesociety.org.

... and here's her entire list ... http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/ ... -901110313
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby ericlighthouse » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:41 pm

Sounds interesting.
President of Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation, Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse, member and EVP of Florida Lighthouse Association and member of other lighthouse groups.
ericlighthouse
Assistant Inspector

Return to Lighthouse Books, Stories, & Narratives