|

Stories of Nova Scotia Lighthouse Families

Have you come across a good book, story or narrative regarding lighthouses, keepers, or lighthouse-related material? Share it here.

Postby island » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:29 pm

Chris Mills, Lighthouse Legacies: Stories of Nova Scotia Lighthouse Families

This is another book I enjoyed for various reasons and not only for having lived at manned lighthouses but for having known people who served at these stations, many who are now gone and gone with them their unique stories. This book is a collection stories about and from people Chris sought out to learn of their lighthouse lives and to preserve their memories. Chris served at Canadian lighthouses in the years at the end of the long era of manned lights when with the onset of automation one after another was destaffed. The following are the words of the author from the Preface of this book:

"When I first got involved in lighthouse preservation more than a decade ago, I thought it would be noble and wonderful to physically save the structures. I still think it's a great idea but in my case it would likely mean financial destruction ----. So my goal is to try to save the memories of the people who lived the lighthouse life. Their experiences are as important as physical structures they maintained, and their memories are as endangered as the lights they once kept."

"We're at a critical point in lighthouse history in Canada [and elsewhere] as the old-timers die off. In another decade or so, there won't be many people who know just what it was like to climb inside a glittering Fresnel lens, set a match to a kerosene vapour light, or stand on the spokes of a huge flywheel to start a foghorn engine."
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Grover1 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:35 pm

Chris Mills was most kind to this tourist from NJ when planning his
lighthouse excursion to Nova Scotia ... Buy this book ...
http://www.amazon.com/Lighthouse-Legaci ... 250&sr=1-4

Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Biggy » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:05 am

I met and talked with Chris quite a bit while at the ALF fundraiser in May. He's a great guy not to mention a wealth of knowledge, full of laughs and very interesting stories.
David
------------------------------
Check out www.biggysphotosetc.com for updates on David's upcoming book, Lighthouses: Maine to Florida, scheduled for an April release by Schiffer Publishing.
Biggy
Assistant Inspector

Postby epona » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:34 pm

Thanks for this posting, one more book to add to my bookshelf and reading list. Many people when looking at lighthouses forget that families lived and worked at them. These families worked as a unit together, they had to depend on themselves, no going for a quick trip to the local big box store.

Island brings up an important topic about lighthouses, people who served at them are sometimes overlooked. What unique stories, these people would have or do have to tell. Also, what Chris writes in his book to me is that lighthouses and other buildings are much more than bricks and mortar. They hold in them the memories of the people who built them, worked at them and lived at them. It is these memories that really are at the core of keeping lighthouses alive.
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Return to Lighthouse Books, Stories, & Narratives