|

Hudson River Lighthouses and History

Have you come across a good book, story or narrative regarding lighthouses, keepers, or lighthouse-related material? Share it here.

Postby Grover1 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:52 pm

Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Grover1 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:51 am

Last edited by Grover1 on Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby epona » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:59 am

I just looked this website over. The book is a disappointment for me in that the photos are all in Black and White. I guess it is a personal thing but to me something is missing in current photos of lighthouses if they are not shot in color.
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Postby island » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:17 am

The book is a disappointment for me in that the photos are all in Black and White.
Black and white has the advantage of showing finer details that tend to be masked by color and at a greatly reduced cost of printing the book. For a 132-page book $10.95 is not at all a high price.

From the book author's website it appears that this book may contain historic photos (if that is what is meant by "original") and would therefore not be in color. Otherwise it is current b&w photos of historic structures. The author is a photographer who and to his credit does both b&w and color. http://www.kevinwoyce.com/album4_004.htm

Hudson River Lighthouses & History is an illustrated tour of these lights, past and present, and of the river they marked--from its Revolutionary War battlefields and early industries to modern-day cities, bridges, and parks.
132 pages, paperback; illustrated with more than 3 dozen original black and white photographs of Hudson River lighthouses, bridges, and historic landmarks.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby epona » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:38 pm

Island, yes I thought about the historical photos being included in the book. Yes the price is not bad. What do mean by saying that color photos mask finer details.

It would be interesting to have a book come out (and maybe one has) with black and white photos taken a few years back and current photos done in color.

Black and white photos have a place along with color ones.
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Postby island » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:10 pm

What do mean by saying that color photos mask finer details.

This is with respect to printed photos as in a book or magazine, not necessarily photographs or electronic images. In the color printing process each of the four colors is applied in sequence to the paper running at production speed through the printing press. The challenge with color printing is to obtain and to continuously maintain throughout the press run extremely precise alignment of the color "dots" of each color with respect to the "dots" of each of the other colors. Very slight variations in register (alignment) reduce the sharpness and detail of the final printed image. This is known in the printing business as register control. In black and white work there is only one color thus no color register issues thus no loss of sharpness or fine detail from out of register printing.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby ericlighthouse » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:42 pm

Speaking of Black and White pictures, if you get a chance look at "The Lighthouses fo the Chesapeake" by Robert de Gast. Published in 1973 all the pictures are black and white. Part of what I like is the details he took shots of. After reading and looking at this book, I start to take more pictures with detail.

Of course the best to me is a combination of both color and black and white.
President of Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation, Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse, member and EVP of Florida Lighthouse Association and member of other lighthouse groups.
ericlighthouse
Assistant Inspector

Postby Grover1 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:44 am

Mr Woyce to speak ... from The Poughkeepsie Journal

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/arti ... 006/news01

Grover1
Lighthouse God

Return to Lighthouse Books, Stories, & Narratives