|

"The Photographer's Guide to Great Lakes Lighthouses"

Have you come across a good book, story or narrative regarding lighthouses, keepers, or lighthouse-related material? Share it here.

Postby Grover1 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:47 am

From The Hudson Hub Times ...

Ohio Authors Visit Book Shop

Richard Edington, author of "The Photographers' Guide to Great Lakes Lighthouses," will be at the Learned Owl Book Shop, 204 N. Main St., June 13 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. His book gives practical advice for photographing more than 25 lighthouses on the Great Lakes. Illustrated with the author's color photographs, the book includes driving directions and GPS coordinates for each lighthouse.

Edington has been a freelance photographer for 25 years, specializing in landscapes and nature subjects. He and his wife, Pat, live in Westfield Center.

A little more ... http://www.bookmasters.com/marktplc/02497.htm
Last edited by Grover1 on Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Hersh » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:32 am

That's weird... Just last week I was thinking about my Penrose "Traveler's Guide..." book and it occurred to me that it would be cool to put together a Photographer's guide. Guess I'm a little late on that one.....
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby LighthouseNews » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:11 am

Hersh wrote:and it occurred to me that it would be cool to put together a Photographer's guide. Guess I'm a little late on that one.....

I see a market for a Photographer's Guide on How To Photograph Lighthouses, with hints on lighting, rule of thirds, lenses, shooting in the dark to capture the beam, correcting the quality using software, etc. etc. You up to it, Hersh? I'd certainly buy it.
LighthouseNews
Head Keeper

Postby Grover1 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:19 am

The Penrose family got me circumnavigated around the Eastern Great Lakes (it took two expeditions) and later on, along with Terry's unsuspecting aid, around the LP of Michigan, from below Detroit to Michigan City ... They were invaluable but still didnt prevent me from "Doh" moments trying to locate Little Sable and White River.

I could be partial but Mike, your book would have been great ... maybe now you conceive a series of "Traveler's Guides," or maybe an "all four season's guides," to your favorite Michigan lights ... one for each light in each of the four seasons ... Im guessing you would probably already have a snapshot or two with which to begin ...

I got an inkling where you might start ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Grover1 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:22 am

Sue ..

... correcting the quality using software

Im thinking we're walking a tightrope on that one ... Im thinking we're going to need to define quality ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby LighthouseNews » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:07 am

Grover1 wrote:Sue ..

... correcting the quality using software

Im thinking we're walking a tightrope on that one ... Im thinking we're going to need to define quality ...

Nope. Not going to draw me into that, Barry. :lol:

To clarify: color enhancement, removal of telephone/electric lines, that sort of stuff. Your basic Photoshopping. Or GIMPing if you can't afford Photoshop. 8)
LighthouseNews
Head Keeper

Postby Grover1 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:01 am

Hi Sue ... Nor would I want to revisit that sore subject one more tired time ... and much of what you listed is just fine ...
... however, knowing Mike, I think "color enhancement" might provoke a thought or two ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Hersh » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:22 pm

Nah...
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Grover1 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:08 pm

Michael ... may I?
The color you see in my photos is the color that came through my lens. I don't believe in taking a mediocre photo and "photoshopping" it to add color that wasn't originally there. My object is to learn how to squeeze every ounce of color out of a sky and put it on film. Anyone can create a beautiful photo on the computer, I'm interested in creating them in the field, merely using the computer to display what's on the film.

... and you accomplish it very, very well!
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Rob143 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:50 pm

His book gives practical advice for photographing more than 25 lighthouses on the Great Lakes.

Hersh wrote:That's weird... Just last week I was thinking about my Penrose "Traveler's Guide..." book and it occurred to me that it would be cool to put together a Photographer's guide. Guess I'm a little late on that one.....

I wouldn't call you late on it if his guide only covers 25 lighthouses.
Rob143
Head Keeper

Return to Lighthouse Books, Stories, & Narratives