|

LH.net Is Back!

Trivia! Trivia! Trivia! All lighthouse and life saving station trivia, as well as any contests or contest links!

Postby MontaukPoint » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:19 pm

Lighthousing.net is Back!

After a several month delay, I'm very pleased to announce that the changes mentioned this Spring have now taken effect. To start with, I'm sure you've noticed the new theme and revised logo. The new theme provides a more "up to date" look which will hopefully draw in new members, while at the same time simplifies a few tasks. Finally, we have changed the spambot countermeasures with the goal of cutting down on spammers while still attracting new members. Kevin (Kevin vk2ce) has been working hard as forum administrator to remove the spambots from our membership rolls. If anyone else wants to volunteer their time, contact one of us.

With these much-needed changes, its time to "reboot" the forum. For those members that have stuck with the forum through the hardships, thank you. For the old "regulars" that have returned, welcome back! I'm aware that the forum membership has had some disagreements in the past -- lets put that behind us and move forward. With your support, we will re-take the position of "Premier Lighthouse Forum" that we held for so many years.

Finally, a disclaimer: While I am now hosting the forum, I have no intention of making major changes to the forum structure. I recognize that I am not the forum founder or one of the original members -- and I have no problem with that. I view myself as the "keeper" and nothing more. As such, I'll be taking (primarily) a "hands-off" approach to moderation. I'll step in when required, but I am not going to 'police' the forum. If you have any questions, concerns or feedback that involve me, feel free to send a Private Message.

Best Regards,
Alan and the LH.net Team
MontaukPoint
LH.net Administrator

Postby clm1950 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:38 am

The new format looks great!
clm1950
1st Assistant Keeper

Postby Weasel58 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:37 pm

Looks great. I'm glad to see the site is still alive and well!
Weasel58
Keeper

Postby MontaukPoint » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:08 pm

Thanks for the comments. I'm looking into a few more small aesthetic changes, and I'll be sure to keep everyone posted.
MontaukPoint
LH.net Administrator

Postby Ross » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:08 am

Looks great Alan, I'm glad she's still moving on. Almost 10 years ago I set out to help bring the (then fragmented) online lighthouse world here together in one place. After many tweaks and finalizations, it launched October 24, 2002 with the creation of the first account and it's never looked back.

At the time, the site was a good thing for the lighthouse community, though through the years of changes and progressions in the lighthouse world, it lost a bit of its lustre. It's good to see it continue running under able and capable hands, as I think it's very valuable to the lighthouse community.

Huge thanks to all who helped to start it, to all who helped keep it afloat during its slow time, and to all who will continue to "man the wheelhouse".
Ross
LH.net Administrator

Postby Johnny » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:30 am

:yay: Site looks really good :yay:
<a href="http://withernsealighthouse.co.uk">Withernsea Lighthouse</a>
Johnny
Keeper

Postby Gary Martin » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:13 pm

Welcome back, Alan. Needless to say I haven't been around lighthousing.net in a VERY long time. The site looks good :!: I'll have to see if I can find the time to start posting again one of these days.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby MontaukPoint » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:34 pm

Nice to hear from you again Ross, Johnny and Gary. Thanks for the kind words.

There wasn't as big of a jump in returning members as I hoped, but I'm sure things will pick up. Spread the word around if you can. A few lighthouse groups got copies of that email I sent out and have already added links to LH.net on their websites.

One feature that I'd like to implement is a comprehensive directory of lighthouse groups in North America (what lighthouse/region the group covers, websites, contact info, etc). If that's successful, it could obviously be expanded to other nations. This would be a good resource for the community and would draw in more visitors. As far as I know, no one has something similar. It would take some effort, but I think it would be worth it. What do you think?
-----
Lighthousing.net Administrator

Lighthouse Photography and More:
http://www.alanbotphotography.com
MontaukPoint
LH.net Administrator

Postby CHUCKX53 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:25 am

Nice, Alan ! I was blinded by the light as I checked in !
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby island » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:23 pm

There wasn't as big of a jump in returning members as I hoped, but I'm sure things will pick up.

I am sure many may view this site but do not log in. With no current active participation (posting) I do not expect to see but few if any returning members or new members.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:45 am

Alan, thanks for your help getting back to this forum. It's been a long time, but I hope I am back as a "regular"! The site looks great, and I see many familiar names among current contributors. Great to be here! :D
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:49 am

Hi Leah, great to see you back on here. Let's hope we can think of something interesting to post to try and keep this forum alive.
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby island » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:11 am

something interesting to post

What are the "somethings" that would would be interesting. In my research I find lots of interesting stuff but that which interests me probably of little or no interest to others. Some if it is more technical in nature. An example not technical is the first propeller driven LHS lighthouse tender that had an unusual history and a connection to significant events in U.S. history. I found this when seeking other information for a story I am currently writing not connected to lighthouse tenders. The item I posted about the unique feature of Spring Point Ledge light, is that an item of interest for this board or is it not? I just don't know with no feedback what is most appropriate and of interest to others to post here, and I do not wish to load this board with my posts.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:34 pm

Dave, just because people don't respond to a post doesn't mean they haven't read it or find it interesting. I check in here every day sometimes several times a day but I don't always post anything.
For instance, back in the busy days there were lots of posts about many topics but the main one was, naturally, lighthouses and these tended to center on American lighthouses because this is an American forum populated mainly by Americans. Most of these posts I would read but, being an Australian, I could contribute little to discussions about US lighthouses. In other words, I posted when I felt I could contribute something to the discussion.
Barry posted stacks of items with little or no feedback but I'll bet a lot of his posts were read.
You also have to take into account the number of people who are members who actually do post and I suggest these number less than 10 at the moment.
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:29 pm

Thanks for the welcome, Kevin! And you are right--just because someone doesn't comment on something doesn't mean they don't read it or find it interesting.

BTW, could you remind me how to post a photo in a comment? I have been away too long and my memory does not serve me too well these days! lol :mrgreen:
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Next

Return to Lighthouse Trivia & Contests