|

Another trivia question

Trivia! Trivia! Trivia! All lighthouse and life saving station trivia, as well as any contests or contest links!

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:34 pm

Lighthouses are usually just that, a light providing guidance for mariners. This particular lighthouse is different and as far as I know, the only one of its kind and purpose in Australia. Close up it looks like a porcupine with antenna sticking up all over the place.
Where is it and what are its functions apart from being a lighthouse?
Attachments
lighthouse.jpg
lighthouse.jpg (31.02 KiB) Viewed 4453 times
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby mylights » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:46 am

It is the Point Lonsdale Lighthouse (Australia-Victoria) and its a Signal Station to.
mylights
mylights
Keeper

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:52 pm

Well done, mylights, but did you find out what the signal station's function is?
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby mylights » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:36 pm

Function of the signalstation is to control the movements of shipping within designated areas both outside and inside Port Phillip Heads???
mylights
mylights
Keeper

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:12 am

Basically that's correct. The lighthouse has a communications room which is manned by the Port Philip Bay pilots and they control the entry and exit of all shipping. The reason they are there is because the entance to the bay is one of the 10 most dangerous pieces of water on the planet and it's called "The Rip". There is a narrow channel which shipping must use and the pilots control all traffic through it. There is only one vessel that is allowed to enter and leave the port without permission and that's the Melbourne to Tasmania car and passenger ferry "The Spirit of Tasmania".
I have not heard of any other lighthouse used for this purpose, hence my question.
Now I'll have to find another one. #-o
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby island » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:49 am

The Rip is most challenging for large ships for being relatively narrow and with irregular bottom and for being a narrow opening from the ocean to a very large bay the tidal currents sometimes approach eight knots. Ships must follow a curved route first to the right and then turning to the left when passing through the Rip.

Point Lonsdale Control Room.
Attachments
Lighthouse03.jpg
Lighthouse03.jpg (16.16 KiB) Viewed 4424 times
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:31 pm

I've been through it 4 times on the ferry and it can get quite rough for about 10 minutes. Bass Strait itself is also one of the most dangerous bits of water around this country. Sometimes they even have to cancel the ferry due to rough water. Bass Strait is quite shallow and the trouble starts when the tide is rising on both sides of the shallow area.
Here's an article from one of my web sites about the ferry service.

http://www.qsl.net/charct/bass_strait.htm
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Return to Lighthouse Trivia & Contests