|

Cape Lookout Navigational Aids

Trivia! Trivia! Trivia! All lighthouse and life saving station trivia, as well as any contests or contest links!

Postby Grover1 » Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:14 pm

Judy,

Just wanted to say what a fascinating topic you introduced. I've been following this thread five days now and each entry has just been more entertaining and educational than the prior one ... from the "secondary" use of the diamond panels thru the discussion of the non-use of the red sector...to the navigation of the shoals of the OBX.

Dave, Stephen, Brent and all you other contributors,

Thanks for piquing an interest I didn't know I possessed. What a very great illustration of what these forums can be.

And Ross,

Sometimes at night ... when it is very quiet and I am alone ... I still think I can hear that frightened wail you described so well in the beginning of this thread ...

Thanks to you all!

Barry
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby beachbum1616 » Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:49 pm

Island,

Thanks for the charts :!: Wish we had them the other evening as we were making our entry into the river, but hey, we'll have them for the next time.

Judy,

To echo Barry's words, this has been an interesting topic. This is a perfect example to those who wonder what is so great about our lighthouses. The practices and simple, yet highly effective methods used to help keep people save make this a great hobby!
Stephen

beachbum1616
Lighthouse Master

Postby vacastle » Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:36 pm

Thanks for the charts Wish we had them the other evening as we were making our entry into the river, but hey, we'll have them for the next time.

Stephen, so glad you had a safe journey and have returned safe and sound. :D

This has been an interesting journey for me too. Thanks to each of you for your input.

Judy
New England Lighthouse Lovers
http://www.nell.cc/index.htm
vacastle
Lighthouse Master

Postby island » Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:45 pm

Stephen,

Did you obtain the services of a river pilot to enter Cape Fear River? Such local knowledge is probably the most valuable aid to navigation one can acquire.

http://people.uncw.edu/hosier/BIE/biecl ... 0River.htm

Island
island
Lt. Commissioner

Previous

Return to Lighthouse Trivia & Contests