|

Brick Towers

Trivia! Trivia! Trivia! All lighthouse and life saving station trivia, as well as any contests or contest links!

Postby ericlighthouse » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:45 pm

Go to http://www.stgeorgelight.org/newsletter.asp to see the Cape St. George Lighthouse being re-built. If you start from the bottom you will see the whole process....it will take you some time. They documented many things like the brick work, soap stone, wooden stairs. It also includes chipping bricks (knocking old mortar off the bricks to be re-used) and fund raisers.
President of Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation, Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse, member and EVP of Florida Lighthouse Association and member of other lighthouse groups.
ericlighthouse
Assistant Inspector

Postby CHUCKX53 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:11 am

rocky5128 wrote:I used to be a bricklayer a long time ago. I have not thought about building walls in a while but when I see a brick lighthouse, I just have to admire the craftsmanship. You can see it in the brick. When they put a shell over it, or stucco over it, you can't see what kind of craftsmanship they put into it because it is hidden.

That's what I like about Little Sable....Although I believe it was painted over for much of it's history....It makes a starling contrast to some of the other tower lights....
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Previous

Return to Lighthouse Trivia & Contests