Highest Lighthouse of the world

Trivia! Trivia! Trivia! All lighthouse and life saving station trivia, as well as any contests or contest links!

Postby timpami » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:31 pm

I recently returned from a Holiday in Mazatlan, México. They seem to think that their Lighthouse, although small in stature, is possibly the highest. I know all the different criteria for this, but, it is possibly the highest in altitude. The Lighthouse is on top of a large hill.

Postby Sparksrick » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:38 pm

The highest lighthouse in Americal was the old Rubicon Point Lighthouse, Lake Tahoe, Calif., standing at 6300 feet. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubicon_Point_Light
Built in 1916, and only in use for a few years, it's now on the endangered lighthouse list, and badly in need of repair. Location was great because it could be seen all over the lake, but keeping it operating was a huge undertaking - two 300 gallon acetylene tanks had to be hauled in by wagon daily. I think it was soon moved to a more hospitable, but less functional location lower and further north on Lake Tahoe's west shore, and electrified.
Now passers by frequently mistake the remaining structure for a dilapidated outhouse.
My painting of the light is here: www.woodsarts.com, in Gallery 31-45. Just uploaded today!

Return to Lighthouse Trivia & Contests