|

Looking for lighthouses around Naples and Tampa, FL

A forum to discuss lighthouses in the Southeast US and the Gulf Coast
(North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Texas)

Moderator: beachbum1616

Postby kk4lighthouses » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:26 am

Hey All:

I am moving to Florida in about 5 days and was interested in finding out what lighthouses were around the areas I will be living in. Thanks.

kk
kk

"Seize the Day, greet the sun, welcome the moon, wish upon a star!" - Annie Danielson
kk4lighthouses
1st Assistant Keeper

Postby CHUCKX53 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:01 pm

Well, off the top of our heads......From North to South on the Gulf side.....

Seahorse Key
Anclote Key
Egmont Key
Boca Grande Entrance RR
Port Boca Grande
Sanibel Island

Here is a nice site with maps......

http://www.lighthousefriends.com/pull-state.asp?state=FL&Submit=Go
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby Weasel58 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:59 pm

KK,

I live outside Tampa. Chuckx53 listed the lights in this area. Here is a little more info.

The only way to visit the first 3 lights is by boat.

Seahorse Key is located on an island near Cedar Key, about 2 hours north of Tampa. The light is only open for tours 2 weekends a year. The island is a wildlife preserve that is off limits about half the year. The rest of the year the lighthouse is used by the University of Florida for research.

Anclote Key, is located on Anclote Keys off Tarpon Springs. The island is a state wildlife preserve. The island is open to the public, but the lighthouse is not open very often. But it is going to be open this coming Saturday!! I used to volunteer during open houses out there. It's a great little light. If you are lucky you will be able to see a pair of Eagles that have a nest just north of the tower. Check their website for more info. http://www.anclotecso.com/

Egmont Key is located at the mouth of Tampa bay. The island is open. There is a lot of history there including forts from the time of the Spanish American war.

The next 3 lights can be visited with out a boat!

Boca Grande and Gasparilla Island are both on Gasparilla Island. Boca Grande is the only light on the west coast of Florida open for daily tours.

Sanibel Island is just off Fort Myers. The light is at the southern end of the island in a park. You can walk around the area, but the keepers houses are occupied dwellings. They are not open for tours.
Weasel58
Keeper

Postby kk4lighthouses » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:13 am

Thanks all. Can't wait to see them.
kk

"Seize the Day, greet the sun, welcome the moon, wish upon a star!" - Annie Danielson
kk4lighthouses
1st Assistant Keeper

Return to Southeast & Gulf Coast Lighthouses