|

I'm Soooooo Excited!!!

A forum to discuss lighthouses in the Southeast US and the Gulf Coast
(North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Texas)

Moderator: beachbum1616

Postby thundermooch » Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:19 pm

I'm so excited for two reasons \:D/

1. I am now a proud member of the Outer Banks Lighthouse Society \:D/ and

2. After seeing Judy's pics of Bodie, (beautiful shots Judy......) got "Outer Banks sick" so I booked reservations to spend the week of Sept. 10 - 17th in Buxton! I'm so happy. Didn't think we would go due to a new job, but gonna go anyway!!!! (Job doesn't know it yet, but will tomorrow!) Hopefully try to catch Cape Lookout and Bald Head this trip, (haven't been that far down yet.) Does anyone know if anything is going on or may go on while we are down there? Can't wait, miss Bodie and Hatteras, (but most of all Bodie!!!!)

Also, just received my new edition to Jeremy's America's Atlantic coast Lighthouses book!! Sweet....... :lol:
thundermooch
Head Keeper

Postby Grover1 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:25 pm

... and I am excited for you ... :wink:

The OBX is like no other place on earth .. and you are going "after season" when the weather will still be good and the crowds will be gone, a perfect time of year.

Think of it ... you get double the pleasure ... three months to enjoy the anticipation ... and then you get to do it ... Good for you

Barry
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby thundermooch » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:17 pm

Thanks....

We love it down there that time of year. You are so right about the weather and the crowds. Two years ago, we were evacuated due to Isabelle. Got there on Saturday, and had to leave that Tuesday. Weather was beautiful! It was hard to believe that in two more days there would be that much destruction. Broke our hearts to see what she caused down there then. Went back in March and saw the remnants and how fast people bounce back.
thundermooch
Head Keeper

Postby vacastle » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:17 pm

And now I'm excited! \:D/ Welcome to OBLHS!!!!! \:D/
...and thank you so much for your kind words! Glad you enjoyed my photos of Bodie from last week.

Great time to go to the Outer Banks. Now if you go all the way to Baldhead, you need to stop by Oak Island too.

Then, if there's anyway you can come back to NC later, our tenth anniversary OBLHS Keeper's Weekend is Oct 21-23 in Nags Head.

Now, thundermooch, :oops: I'm embarrassed that I don't know your name. I look forward to meeting you in person.

Judy :D
New England Lighthouse Lovers
http://www.nell.cc/index.htm
vacastle
Lighthouse Master

Postby Larry » Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:54 am

...and you just can't hide it. You're about to lose control and I think you like it.

Have fun!
Larry
Larry
Inspector

Postby shirin » Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:26 am

How exciting! That's a lot of great lighthouse news for you! And Welcome to the Outer Banks Lighthouse Society. :D
shirin
Lt. Commissioner

Postby thundermooch » Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:18 pm

Thanks guys! And Judy, don't be embarrassed, I should remember to put my name under whatever I write.

Roseann.....
thundermooch
Head Keeper

Postby vacastle » Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:49 pm

Well pleased to meet you, Roseann! :D

Judy
New England Lighthouse Lovers
http://www.nell.cc/index.htm
vacastle
Lighthouse Master

Postby ron » Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:33 pm

barr!!!!!!!!!!!
ron
Head Keeper

Postby Grover1 » Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:27 pm

"... a-danna "

("Just goes to show ... It's always something!) :wink:

Glad to meet you!

Barry

(PS .. Fountains of Wayne? Mad Anthony Wayne diner? )
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:36 pm

Welcome to the OBLHS, Roseann. The Outer Banks is quite special to many of us here!!! :D
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Postby Seasentinel » Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:09 am

Ahhhhh....I know you're feeling of excitement as Leah said in other words. The OBX is indeed a special place. Ive been going there almost every year since 1997 and in 2003/2004 went there 5 times :).

The trip to Cape Lookout is worth it but what a looooooooooong trip. At least you're saving an hour+ since you're staying in Buxton. Everytime I've gone I was stayin in Nags Head. It took the whole day up and back but last time I camped out there. That was a real treat and I'd do it again. If you do pack as light as you can and dont leave any food outside the tent for any amount of time....even 15 minutes. A Raccoon took off with our bag of veggie chips. Scared me half to death when I heard something outside. All the scary movies came back into my mind...wild fishermen with knives? Anyway I was relieved when I saw it was a raccoon.

Here's some pics I took on our almost 24 hr stay down there. I thought I had more up there but I see now I dont. I need to add more!

http://flaminbird.smugmug.com/gallery/282980/1

Michelle
OBLHS member since 1997
Seashore lover since I was 4
Seasentinel
Keeper

Postby thundermooch » Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:52 pm

Well Ron, it's no way barr.....but I do get alot a adana's, especially with the Joisey accent!!!! Barry got it right. By the way, were you talking about the Anthony Wayne Diner that was on Rt. 46? Fountains of Wayne is still there. (If anyone is a Soprano watcher, it was in 2 of the episodes).

Thanks Michelle for sharing the pics. Getting butterflies in the stomach!!!!

And again, thank you all for your input and good wishes. You guys are great! ^:)^

Roseann
thundermooch
Head Keeper

Postby Hersh » Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:58 pm

After spending only one day in the OBX this spring, I am securely hooked. I must say I'm very envious of your camping at Cape Lookout, I think I should try to do that the next time we go down there.
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Grover1 » Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:04 am

Roseann,

For sure I meant the diner ... I spent some time working in the area and have lunched there ... also, made no connection between the "Fountains of Wayne" group and the place of business until a recent trip through ...

Michelle,

Your pictures have been absent way too long ... You really do need to post more of your work here. That sunset is beautiful.

Barry
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Next

Return to Southeast & Gulf Coast Lighthouses