|

Sullivan's Island LIghthosue

A forum to discuss lighthouses in the Southeast US and the Gulf Coast
(North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Texas)

Moderator: beachbum1616

Postby beachbum1616 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:43 am

Got this in an email the other day in responce to the info that I had about the light on my site. Thought you guys might find it interesting.

The light is not rated at 28 million candlepower. It is a DCB-24 beacon. (actually two beacons) The flash pattern is one flash and about a second later the second flash. The lights are mounted at different angles and rotate at about 2 RPM.

There was a 28 million unit back in the 1960's but was taken out. It was actually quite dangerous. The elevator works about 50% of the time. It is getting old, worn out and no one wants to spend money to maintain this lighthouse. What else is new right?

It is not all concrete. From about 20' up to the top it is simply a steel skeleton with aluminum sheeting. The elevator does not go all the way to the top. You have to climb a ladder the last 20'.

And it is not air conditioned as some sites claim. One floor of it is, that's it.
I was in the Coast Guard and maintained this light from 2001-2002
Stephen

beachbum1616
Lighthouse Master

Postby Weasel58 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:47 pm

Yup, that sounds about right. I got to climb this light back in 04 and the AC ended on the second floor. The elevator only goes up about 3/4 of the way. The last 2 flights of stairs are actually straight ladders. The inside of the tower is still painted white and coast guard orange like the out side used to be. The locals did not like the orange/red so they painted the top black. The light at the top was a cople of DCBs. If I can find my pics I'll post them.
Eric Sharp
Weasel58
Keeper

Postby ericlighthouse » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:23 pm

When they found the Confederate States submarine, Hunley, a camera was mounted at the top to monitor the site until it could be recovered. It was near the tower.

The sunset over Charleston Bay was quite nice too.

The elevator was not working, so we climbed the only lighthouse in the United States that had an elevator. We did see the inside of the elevator, it was small, only room for 2 or 3 people max.
President of Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation, Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse, member and EVP of Florida Lighthouse Association and member of other lighthouse groups.
ericlighthouse
Assistant Inspector

Return to Southeast & Gulf Coast Lighthouses