|

Louisiana claims another one

A forum to discuss lighthouses in the Southeast US and the Gulf Coast
(North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Texas)

Moderator: beachbum1616

Postby Zachary » Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:25 pm

My heart sank a little after reading this as the lights of the deep south have an important meaning to me and it seems they're becoming a dying breed.
http://lhdigest.com/Digest/StoryPage.cfm?StoryKey=2681
Zachary
Head Keeper

Postby Hersh » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:12 pm

That's really strange to see it sinking straight down into the mud like that. Such a shame....
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby ericlighthouse » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:58 pm

The lighthouse preservation movement seems to be weak in Louisana.
President of Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation, Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse, member and EVP of Florida Lighthouse Association and member of other lighthouse groups.
ericlighthouse
Assistant Inspector

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:35 pm

I think Louisiana still has their hands full in the aftermath of Katrina. Even Biloxi, MS, is still in turmoil and has not even rebuilt highways along the Gulf that were destroyed. I had a friend there a couple of months ago who was going to photograph the lighthouse there for me, but could not even figure out how to get there from her hotel which was actually just a short distance away! It was more like a Maine saying--"You can't get they-ah from he-ah......................"

A very sad state of affairs for all of these lighthouses.
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Postby epona » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:23 am

This lighthouse was a goner a very long time ago. I am surprised that it was not taken down or removed. It sure looks like a hazard to me.

People are still trying to rebuild their homes and lives in this area. My understanding is that schools and other public buildings are slow in getting rebuilt.

No I have no issue with this lighthouse going down. It is not even on life support it is dead.
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Postby NoahG » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:45 am

That, it seems, is always the hardest part for the lighthouse lover: accepting when a light is done for. In a sense I guess it *could* be saved, but there is no time, money or desire to do so. Sometimes it is necessary to accept one as a lost cause...as much as I hate doing so. As much as I wish every light everywhere could be saved, I know that is it physically impossible. Hopefully the other lights in the state will recieve some attention before they reach this state. Usually I don't take such a stance, but on this light, in this situation, the outlook is indeed bleak.
Noah G.
NoahG
Head Keeper

Postby NoahG » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:59 pm

I found some close up photos of the light on google.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... n%26sa%3DN
Noah G.
NoahG
Head Keeper

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:14 am

Those are just sad, Noah. :( The caption states that at least prior to Katrina that the tower was surrounded by land, but the hurricane changed their entire landscape down there. AND seascape, for that matter.........
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Postby Blacktphoto » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:08 am

Has anyone heard any additional news about Pass A L'Outre? If anyone from or visiting the area has an update please let us know.

It would have been great if the roof to the lantern room could have been salvaged. Wishful thinking I suppose.
Blacktphoto
1st Assistant Keeper

Postby Grover1 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:04 pm

Almost looks like a "ghost" lighthouse, one an alien left behind ... or something from the end of the original Planet of the Apes

Anyone know where the water would be in relation to this eerie shot?
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Blacktphoto » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:04 pm

I was about 20 feet away in that shot. Here's one from a bit further out.

The condition is more clearly visible from the opposite side:

From this side you can notice that most of the railing is missing and the canopy is clearly drooping on its supports.

These were shot in February of 2005.
Blacktphoto
1st Assistant Keeper

Postby MontaukPoint » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:52 pm

This is really a shame. Given its condition prior to Katrina, I find it amazing that it survived. I believe the heading of the LH Digest article suits it well: soon the rust will eat through the tower near the waterline, and it will collapse. It could still be saved, but:

a) who wants it?
b) who pays for the operation?
c) is it worth it for what is left of it?

It looks like the lantern room is upside down in the water below the tower in that LH Digest recent shot. Maybe someone could cast a line off a boat and reel it in? :wink: I don't think saving the tower is likely, but someone may go after the lantern room (depending on its current condition). This wouldn't cost much to do, but someone has to be interested, something which seems to be absent in Louisiana.
-----
Lighthousing.net Administrator

Lighthouse Photography and More:
http://www.alanbotphotography.com
MontaukPoint
LH.net Administrator

Return to Southeast & Gulf Coast Lighthouses