|

Boca Grande & Sanibel Island

A forum to discuss lighthouses in the Southeast US and the Gulf Coast
(North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Texas)

Moderator: beachbum1616

Postby Lighthouse Joe » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:46 am

Well, my Florida vacation is 2 weeks away. We have a side trip to Sanibel Island, we plan on visiting Gasparilla, Boca Grande Rear, and Sanibel Island lights.

I heard there was some damage during that big hurricane a while back. Does anyone have current info on the open status of these lights?
Lighthouse Joe
Head Keeper

Postby MontaukPoint » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:29 pm

I was at Sanibel Island during the summer of 2006. The tower itself is closed in addition to the keepers' houses, but the grounds are open. Which hurricane did you hear about? There was no damage when I was there, only dirty lantern room glass.

I never made it up to Gasparilla and Boca Grande, but I hope to on my next trip down to Florida. From Sanibel, Gasprilla is another 1 hour 30 minute drive.

-Alan
MontaukPoint
LH.net Administrator

Postby wheland » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:39 pm

Joe,

I was at Gasparilla Rear Range and Boca Grande earlier this year and I saw no indication of any damage at the lighthouses themselves.

There was some work going on in the town on the island , though.

Boca Grande was open for business- and there were plenty of people there the day I was. The website says it's open 10-4 7 days a week from November to May.

http://www.barrierislandparkssociety.or ... house.html

I didn't make it to Sanibel on that trip so I can't say what's up there.

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Postby Weasel58 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:49 pm

During 2004 and 5 when Florida was getting pounded by hurricanes, there really wasn't any damage to the lighthouses themselves. It was the trees around Sanibel that were trashed. A lot of people told me Sanibel was devestated, but in my opinion having a lot of the non native trees killed out actually made the area better. There used to be pine trees almost as tall as the tower behind and to one side, now most of the taller trees are gone.
Weasel58
Keeper

Postby Biggy » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:17 pm

When Hurricane Charley blew through Punta Gorda in 2004, the area surrounding Punta Groda was wrecked. Sanibel Island wasn't too bad when I was there in November that year. This is what the lighthouse looked like while I was there:

I too had heard many tree were lost, but the lighthouse, I thought, looked quite good, for an exoskeletal anyway. LOL
David
------------------------------
Check out www.biggysphotosetc.com for updates on David's upcoming book, Lighthouses: Maine to Florida, scheduled for an April release by Schiffer Publishing.
Biggy
Assistant Inspector

Postby ericlighthouse » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:56 am

Don't forget to get a picture of Boca Grande Rear Range on your way in or out. You can get close, but there is a fence around the base.

There is some local support to get the lighthouse open at Sanibel. One of our Florida Lighthouse Association board members is working with them.
President of Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation, Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse, member and EVP of Florida Lighthouse Association and member of other lighthouse groups.
ericlighthouse
Assistant Inspector

Return to Southeast & Gulf Coast Lighthouses