|

Biloxi License Plate a Symbol of Hope

A forum to discuss lighthouses in the Southeast US and the Gulf Coast
(North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Texas)

Moderator: beachbum1616

Postby Grover1 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:58 am

From The Clarion Ledger

Q: Dear Jack Sunn, out of sheer curiosity, who is responsible for the new car tag designs? Is it possible to take such future decision making out of their hands? - Duke

A: The License Tag Commission is responsible and no, you can't remove responsibility for the designs from it, said Kathy Waterbury, spokeswoman for the Mississippi Tax Commission. The commission includes the governor, attorney general, state treasurer and commissioner of revenue.

The plate depicts the Biloxi Lighthouse, one of the only structures left standing after Hurricane Katrina. The lighthouse, a beacon of light for ships at its inception, became a beacon of hope for Gulf Coast residents as they cleaned and began rebuilding.

"The lighthouse seemed the perfect symbol to represent our determination to carry on and is purposefully pictured against a sunrise looking forward to a bright future," Waterbury said via e-mail. By the way, you can find depictions of previous state tags at www.worldlicenceplates.com/usa/US_MSXX.html. Hey, Jack likes the tag.

To send questions, write Jack Sunn, 2001 Airport Road, Suite 207, Flowood MS 39232 or e-mail jacksunn@jackson.gannett.com.
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:58 am

What a jerk Duke is!!!! :? I know someone who visited Biloxi several months ago and told me that the area still has a long way to go toward recovery. Even if I weren't a lighthouse fan, I would have to agree that anything that promotes the rebuilding cause is a GOOD thing.

Personally, I think the plate is excellent! :D
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Postby jaymatt1978 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:17 am

The link to the world license plate website should be:
http://www.worldlicenceplates.com/usa/US_MSXX.html

Yes I do have one of these plates in my collection, it's even a wheelchair plate to boot!!!
jaymatt1978
Keeper

Postby jaymatt1978 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:28 pm

From the Sun Herald Times
http://www.sunherald.com/local/story/894163.html

As I mentioned a few months ago my license plate club voted the new Mississippi lighthouse license plate for license plate of the year. Officials from my license plate club particpated in an awards ceremony near Jackson. Above is an article about the event
jaymatt1978
Keeper

Postby Grover1 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:31 am

Justin .. any other lighthouse license plates ever so honored?

Seems the image expired ... here it is again

Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Return to Southeast & Gulf Coast Lighthouses