|

St. George Island Lighthouse

A forum to discuss lighthouses in the Southeast US and the Gulf Coast
(North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Texas)

Moderator: beachbum1616

Postby ericlighthouse » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:26 am

Just a note about the first lighthouse on St. George Island. It was NOT destroyed by storm. It had some damage several times, but was repaired each time. It was decided the location was not a good one (hard to see the light), so the lighthouse was taken down brick by brick and rebuilt on the Cape. Looking about the same as it had been on the West end of the Island. The lens was also moved.

It seems once the story gets told wrong, it keeps getting retold.
Last edited by ericlighthouse on Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
President of Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation, Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse, member and EVP of Florida Lighthouse Association and member of other lighthouse groups.
ericlighthouse
Assistant Inspector

Postby Gary Martin » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:10 am

Good to see that this story has had such a positive ending :!: Another demonstration of what determined groups can do to preserve our maritime heritage.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Grover1 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:32 pm

Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Grover1 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:22 am

From Tallahassee.com

http://www.tallahassee.com/article/2009 ... 10318/1003

(Photo/Dave Hodges)
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby island » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:09 pm

In revisiting this topic I thought it appropriate to add this link.
http://www.stgeorgelight.org/default.asp

The Archive page Current Category contains a great multitude of photos in timeline beginning with salvage of the pieces of the fallen lighthouse tower and continuing through the steps of construction and final completion of the new tower. If you are interested in seeing a lighthouse constructed from start to finish it is well worth taking the time to go through this photo timeline.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby epona » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:11 am

Reading this story has brought some ray of sun to a rainy day here in Maine. The postive action and work done by the volunteers cannot fully understood - wow what an effort - wow what a result!
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Grover1 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:41 am

From WJHG Newschannel 7

http://www.wjhg.com/news/headlines/42478427.html

(No Photo Credit)
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby byandrewdavis » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:51 am

I know this topic isn't 100% fresh, but I was able to climb this lighthouse the other day and shot a 360 degree virtual tour of it. As a hobby I'm attempting to travel all the available lighthouses in Florida (for starters) and shoot a panorama for those who aren't able to climb. Take a look at http://www.lighthousekeeper360.com/st-g ... lighthouse

Thanks to everyone involved in rebuilding this lighthouse!
byandrewdavis
Visitor

Postby ericlighthouse » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:50 pm

Andrew, nice work and great for those who can't climb or travel to the lighthouse.
When you do Cape Florida be sure to zoom in on Fowey Rocks and at Key West zoom in on Sand Key if you can.
President of Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation, Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse, member and EVP of Florida Lighthouse Association and member of other lighthouse groups.
ericlighthouse
Assistant Inspector

Postby byandrewdavis » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:19 am

Will do, my hope is that by the time I climb most of the ones open to the public that there will be enough interest in my work to get a "media pass" to climb some of the others here in Florida... there's quite a few that could be climbed still but not in good enough condition for the public due to liability issues.

Are any of the Reef lights open to the public? Those would be quite interesting to shoot.
byandrewdavis
Visitor

Postby CHUCKX53 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:10 pm

Woahhhh -- Andrew, this is FAR OUT.......This is going in my Faves.... 8)
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby ericlighthouse » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:07 am

Andrew, the reef lighthouses are NOT open to the public and I have not been in them either. One of our board members got on Alligator a long time ago when it was getting painted.

That said as soon as I can get the Coast Guards undivided attention, I would like to get at least one open to the public from time to time.

If you or anyone else reading would like to keep up with the Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation, send me an email at ericlighthouse@yahoo.com and ask to be put on the email list. Of course we are always looking for members. The website is http://www.reeflights.org
ericlighthouse
Assistant Inspector

Postby clm1950 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:30 pm

Terrific panoramas! I am planning to visit this Lighthouse the first week in Nov.
clm1950
1st Assistant Keeper

Previous

Return to Southeast & Gulf Coast Lighthouses