|

St. Augustine During a Hurricane

A forum to discuss lighthouses in the Southeast US and the Gulf Coast
(North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Texas)

Moderator: beachbum1616

Postby LighthouseNews » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:01 am

I don't know if any of you read the Keeper's Blog, but he recently posted a video taken from the lantern room of the St. Augustine Lighthouse during Hurricane Fay.

Tropical Storm Fay at the St. Augustine Lighthouse

<param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OHQrv37kFyA"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OHQrv37kFyA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed>
LighthouseNews
Head Keeper

Postby Grover1 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:41 am

Sue ...that was great ... esepcially liked the swirling trees ... thanks for posting
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Gary Martin » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:41 pm

Having been through a significant number of hurricanes over the years, including being in the eye of hurricane Alicia in the early 80's, that's a cool video. Until you've been in one of those massive storms, I don't think you really can understand or appreciate the power embodied in them.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Grover1 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:37 pm

With the approach of Ike, tonight's National Weather Service Advisory to the residents of Galveston

PERSONS NOT HEEDING EVACUATION ORDERS IN SINGLE FAMILY
ONE OR TWO STORY HOMES WILL FACE CERTAIN DEATH.
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Gary Martin » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:22 pm

I've been to Galveston more times than I can remember and my wife lived in Galveston before we were married. Galveston also has a substantial sea wall. If they're ordering a mandatory evacuation of the island, they must be expecting a considerable storm surge with Ike. Getting off of Galveston Island would be the thing to do before Ike's outer spiral bands begin to come ashore. You used to havet a choice of either going south down the island toward Freeport and then inland or across the causeway. That was it. I haven't been on the island in a few years but I doubt that there are any new options.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Return to Southeast & Gulf Coast Lighthouses