|

Sullivan's Island Lighthouse

A forum to discuss lighthouses in the Southeast US and the Gulf Coast
(North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Texas)

Moderator: beachbum1616

Postby Grover1 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:29 pm

Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Weasel58 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:53 pm

Sullivan's island is a very unique lighthouse. I was lucky enough to climb it back in 04 and the Coastie that was with us stated that the light used to be painted Coast Guard red and that in the lantern you could see the old exterior paint color. You can see the red behind the DBs.

We were lucky enough to watch the sunset behind the city of Charleston from the top of the tower.

Eric Sharp
Weasel58
Keeper

Postby ericlighthouse » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:07 pm

I was also on that trip. We saw the elevator, but it was not working. It was only big enough for about 3 people.

The top of the lighthouse had a camera for awhile pointed out at the harbor where they discovered the Hunley. To make sure no one messed with the site until it could be raised.

While it is the only American Lighthouse with a people elevator, I understand some European Lighthouses have them.

P.S. Lucky had little to do with the sunset, the time was requested to be right before sunset.
President of Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation, Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse, member and EVP of Florida Lighthouse Association and member of other lighthouse groups.
ericlighthouse
Assistant Inspector

Postby Grover1 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:27 am

Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby vacastle » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:36 am

That would be a moving ceremony to attend. I was able to be at the ceremony at Bodie Island when the Coast Guard turned over the light to the NPS. It was a really nice ceremony with good speeches from both the Park Service & the CG. I will admit it made me teary.

At Bodie, even though the NPS now owns the light, the Coast Guard still gives guidance and makes sure the light is set correctly since it is still an active light.

Judy
New England Lighthouse Lovers
http://www.nell.cc/index.htm
vacastle
Lighthouse Master

Postby jaymatt1978 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:28 am

jaymatt1978
Keeper

Postby ericlighthouse » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:00 am

“This is the last major lighthouse built by the U.S. government,”

Well....I would say the Texas Towers built in the mid 1960's were very major. Perhaps the statement would be true if he had said Land Based Lighthouse.
President of Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation, Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse, member and EVP of Florida Lighthouse Association and member of other lighthouse groups.
ericlighthouse
Assistant Inspector

Postby NoahG » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:04 am

Are there any pictures of it in Coast Guard red?
Noah G.
NoahG
Head Keeper

Postby ericlighthouse » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:12 am

There should be pictures of the Tower in Red.
I have one of the inside of one of the panels that shows the red. It has an orange tint to it. (They turned the panels around and paint the unfinished side with black.)
ericlighthouse
Assistant Inspector

Return to Southeast & Gulf Coast Lighthouses