|

Bald Head Island Lens

A forum to discuss lighthouses in the Southeast US and the Gulf Coast
(North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Texas)

Moderator: beachbum1616

Postby Grover1 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:54 am

Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Weasel58 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:10 pm

So someone returned the remains of the Cape Fear lens. I know it used to sit at an old antique shop.
Weasel58
Keeper

Postby vacastle » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:36 am

I wonder what company will be restoring this lens. Anyone know? Jim, are you reading this?

Judy
New England Lighthouse Lovers
http://www.nell.cc/index.htm
vacastle
Lighthouse Master

Postby island » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:11 pm

I believe this is a fourth order lens. (The project pdf link on the Old Baldy website would not open)

Why does this tower have such a small lantern and offset from tower center? (I think this was mentioned on this board in the past but I could not find it.)

There are two photos, one from above showing this lantern on the site Google Book Lighthouses of the Carolinas. pages 76 and 80.
http://books.google.com/books?id=XQfwXB ... &ct=result
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Weasel58 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:05 pm

Island, if you read the article the lens in question has to be the first order lens of the Cape Fear lighthouse which was dynamited in 1958. I know it does not explicitly state the lens size, but it does state the lighthouse which was destroyed in 1958. This has to be Cape Fear, which had a first order lens that was auctioned off and was sold off piece by piece by the owner over the years.

Here is an article from the outer banks lighthouse society about one person's search for the history of the lens prism he bought as a souvenir. The article starts on page 8. http://www.outerbankslighthousesociety. ... ter-05.pdf
Eric Sharp
Weasel58
Keeper

Postby island » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:41 pm

Eric. If the Cape Fear first order lens was sold piece by piece than thats lots of pieces auctioned off and it would be a real problem getting all of these back to re-assemble the lens such that as the article states, "Wednesday the original lens returned to the island and will be restored before going on public display." David
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby vacastle » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:42 am

David, it is the first order lens of the Cape Fear lighthouse which was dynamited in 1958 that has been returned, as Eric states.
I do not know the condition of the lens or what or how much is missing, if anything.

When a lens is restored, new manufactured parts can replace missing parts to give the lens a whole look. This is what is commonly done. The restoration of the Hatteras 1st Fresnel was an exception. Many racks of prisms were missing, as well as individual prisms on existing racks. It was decided to restore that lens minus the missing racks in order to show the public the wear and tear, etc. of theses lenses. An appeal was made for returning prisms that might be in someone's attic, and a few have actually been returned.

Judy
New England Lighthouse Lovers
http://www.nell.cc/index.htm
vacastle
Lighthouse Master

Postby island » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:20 am

Updated information from Old Baldy Foundation.

Sent: Friday, March 13, 2009 8:45 AM
Subject: Re: Lens returned

Hi David,

The Old Baldy Foundation has purchased what remains of the 1st order Fresnel lens that was in the Cape Fear Station 1903-1958. We have in our possesion all the original frames and approximately 30% of the original glass, plus the chariot and turning mechanisms. We are very excited about this long term project, and that "phase 1" is complete - the lens is packed up tight and safe and in storage, ready for restoration and eventually display! Thanks for your interest.

Susan Grantier
Historic Tour Director

Old Baldy Foundation
P.O. Box 3007
Bald Head Island, NC 28461
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby beachbum1616 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:06 pm

I know I am looking forward to seeing it one day!
Stephen

beachbum1616
Lighthouse Master

Return to Southeast & Gulf Coast Lighthouses