|

Bloody Point Lighthouse For Sale

A forum to discuss lighthouses in the Southeast US and the Gulf Coast
(North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Texas)

Moderator: beachbum1616

Postby LighthouseNews » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:19 am

Got an email from the owner of Bloody Point Lighthouse (South Carolina, not to be confused with the one in the Chesapeake Bay) that it is now for sale. You Tube Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0nJUSmE7vI

More about the lighthouse:

http://www.lowcountryjoe.com/BloodyPoin ... istory.asp

I found it interesting reading the history that the light was a locomotive headlight, since the govt. ran out of money and couldn't buy a proper one.

By April of 1883 construction was completed. The front light, painted bright white with lead trim, stood proud and was ready for duty. As I mentioned earlier, this Lighthouse looked more like a keeper’s cottage, than a traditional tall standing Lighthouse like Tybee. Never the less, the red kerosene light that shone from the single large upstairs dormer window worked to perfection. The back light, located 4350 ft. inland was also unusual for a Lighthouse. It seems Congress had appropriated insufficient funds for a "proper" Lighthouse (imagine that) and erected a triangular white metal tower, like our cell towers of today. The source of light was a locomotive head-light in the form of a powerful parabolic reflector (red beam with a range of 12 miles). The light was kept in the "lamp room" an 8 by 10 ft. brick building where it was cleaned, maintained and stored during the day. At night the Keeper would run the light up on rails to a height of 81 feet. The entire system worked perfectly, all that was needed was a Lighthouse Keeper.
LighthouseNews
Head Keeper

Postby ericlighthouse » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:01 am

Tried twice to see this by boat. I know we were close, just did not know exactly where to look.
President of Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation, Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse, member and EVP of Florida Lighthouse Association and member of other lighthouse groups.
ericlighthouse
Assistant Inspector

Postby epona » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:47 pm

I wonder why it is being sold. From what I just read the owner and his wife seem to love the place. It also seems that they have put a great of work and money into keeping the place up.
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Grover1 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:47 pm

Ancillary article ... from The Island Packet

http://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/ ... 02553.html
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby windspirit » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:07 am

Somebody PLEASE help me get more information on this lighthouse for sale. PLEASE help me now.
windspirit
Visitor

Return to Southeast & Gulf Coast Lighthouses