|

Fort Jefferson Light at Dry Tortugas, FL

A forum to discuss lighthouses in the Southeast US and the Gulf Coast
(North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Texas)

Moderator: beachbum1616

Postby dashtwo » Mon May 25, 2009 12:42 pm

I am currently creating on computer a 3D rendition of Fort Jefferson Light. After reviewing several hundred photos on the internet, I have been unable to find out what the actual light at the top of the lighthouse looked like. Can someone here give me any suggestion as to what type of light was used? Also, when was the lighthouse constructed?

Thanks for your input,

DashTwo
dashtwo
Visitor

Postby LighthouseNews » Mon May 25, 2009 1:38 pm

The lighthouse is currently inactive (since 1921), and according to Russ Rowlett's site, it only has a decorative light in the lantern room. The original optic was a fourth order Fresnel lens. Others may have more information as to the whereabouts of the original lens.

Original lighthouse built in 1825, but replaced by the newer one in 1876.
LighthouseNews
Head Keeper

Postby ericlighthouse » Mon May 25, 2009 4:42 pm

My source says 4th order lens also.
Currently a lightbulb hanging from the ceiling.
President of Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation, Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse, member and EVP of Florida Lighthouse Association and member of other lighthouse groups.
ericlighthouse
Assistant Inspector

Postby dashtwo » Wed May 27, 2009 3:36 pm

Would the light in either of the two attached photos be suitable for Fort Jefferson Light?

Thanks for your help,

DashTwo
Attachments
=Light Two.jpg
=Light Two.jpg (137.53 KiB) Viewed 1043 times
=Light One.jpg
=Light One.jpg (69.67 KiB) Viewed 1042 times
dashtwo
Visitor

Postby ericlighthouse » Wed May 27, 2009 4:58 pm

Go to http://www.michiganlights.com/fresnel.htm and it has a picture of a 4th Order Fresnel Lens. It also has a chart with the height and width of each lens.
President of Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation, Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse, member and EVP of Florida Lighthouse Association and member of other lighthouse groups.
ericlighthouse
Assistant Inspector

Postby dashtwo » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:01 pm

I plan to add very brief text on my Fort Jefferson Light image and want to be as accurate as possible in the wording. You are the lighthouse expert(s), I am merely the artist.

I will include the name and location of the light.

The following comes from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_Tortugas.

"The Dry Tortugas are a small group of islands, located at the end of the Florida Keys, USA, about 70 miles (113 km) west of Key West, and 37 miles (60 km) west of the Marquesas Keys, the closest islands. Still further west is the Tortugas Bank, which is completely submerged. The first Europeans to discover the islands were the Spanish in 1513 by explorer Juan Ponce de León. They are an unincorporated area of Monroe County, Florida and belong to the Lower Keys Census County Division. With their surrounding waters, they constitute the Dry Tortugas National Park.

Garden Key, with Fort Jefferson and the inactive Garden Key lighthouse...."

Here is more from http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... rson+light.

"The Garden Key Light, also known as the Tortuga Harbor Light, is located at Fort Jefferson, on Garden Key in the Dry Tortugas , Florida..."

After reviewing many websites, it seems the most commonly used name is Fort Jefferson Light. So, should I call it Fort Jefferson Light, Fort Jefferson Lighthouse, Garden Key Light, Garden Key Lighthouse, Tortuga Harbor Light, or Tortuga Harbor Lighthouse?

If Garden Key Lighthouse is the actual name, but is also known as both Tortuga Harbor Light and Fort Jefferson Light, which name should I use?

Here are several possibilities.

Fort Jefferson Light
Garden Key, Dry Tortugas
Florida, USA
est. 1876

Fort Jefferson Light
Garden Key
Dry Tortugas, Florida, USA
est. 1876

Fort Jefferson Light
Garden Key, Dry Tortugas
Florida
est. 1876

Fort Jefferson Light
Garden Key
Dry Tortugas, Florida
est. 1876

Is it a "light" or "lighthouse" and should I call it Garden Key, Tortuga Harbor, or Fort Jefferson?

What would be the best wording for the location? I thought about adding "USA," because some of the prints will probably end up in foreign countries. However, people around the world most likely know where Florida is located, so maybe "USA" isn't needed.

Your input will be very much appreciated!!!!!

DashTwo
dashtwo
Visitor

Postby LighthouseNews » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:00 pm

Just a suggestion...

Don't rely on Wikipedia for anything. The entries aren't always accurate.

For learning about the lighthouse, you're best advised to visit one of the established sites from the historians.

In this case I'd suggest starting with Kraig Anderson's Lighthouse Friends entry on Garden Key and going from there.

Garden Key / Dry Tortugas

Entries in Google Books can also be useful:

The Persistence of Sail in the Age of Steam
The Florida Lighthouse Trail
LighthouseNews
Head Keeper

Postby ericlighthouse » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:28 am

The informaton on the link The Florida Lighthouse Trail is correct. Neil Hurley has written several books on Florida Lighthouses and is retired Coast Guard. He is also the historian for the Florida Lighthouse Association.

I would use lighthouse instead of light.
ericlighthouse
Assistant Inspector

Return to Southeast & Gulf Coast Lighthouses