|

Moving Middle Bay Light?

A forum to discuss lighthouses in the Southeast US and the Gulf Coast
(North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Texas)

Moderator: beachbum1616

Postby Grover1 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:43 pm

Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Grover1 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:45 pm

... maybe a better article ... from The Press-Register

http://blog.al.com/live/2009/06/can_mid ... _surv.html

(Photo/Jeff Dute)
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby NoahG » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:12 am

So what does everyone think?

If they can find the money I think it's a smart decision. My only question is how well protected would it be in its new home from both vandals and hurricanes.
Noah G.
NoahG
Head Keeper

Postby Blacktphoto » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:07 pm

Since I've had the Louisiana lights on my mind today I would think that yes, the structure should absolutely be moved before another major storm comes and it is consumed by the Gulf. It seems logical that even if the move would render it exempt from the National Register of Historic Places at least it would be preserved.

I would think that the move would also benefit commerce in the area by offering another historic attraction (thinking of Half Moon Reef in Texas; another Gulf screwpile that now resides on land).

Blacktphoto
1st Assistant Keeper

Postby Weasel58 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:10 pm

If the only way to save it is to move it, then move it.
Eric Sharp
Weasel58
Keeper

Postby MontaukPoint » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:57 pm

I say move it, but the issue of money comes to mind. 1.7 million is a hell-of-a-lot 8O , especially for a south still reeling (in some areas) from Katrina.

Hopefully, next time I am on the Alabama, I can look over the side and see this on display below it. Good luck - They will need it.

Alan
-----
Lighthousing.net Administrator

Lighthouse Photography and More:
http://www.alanbotphotography.com
MontaukPoint
LH.net Administrator

Postby Grover1 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:44 am

Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby CHUCKX53 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:33 am

We are to assume that this light has already been excessed, as the first story stated that the Historical Commission "owns" the light -- The second story states that it is a "navigational landmark", so we can guess that maybe, if operational, it is a private AToN ??

The $1.7 million cost reported in the first article covered the transport AND repair, but the second article assigned the entire $1.7 million to just moving the light to the park........

If the CG no longer cares for this 124-year old light, then the Historical Commission will have to bear all future costs to maintain this light, no matter where it is located at............

It most certianly will be destroyed if it remains in it's present location, if not with the next hurricane, then with any of the number of ones to follow (and they WILL happen, this is the Gulf we're speaking of here) -- And, even so, the costs to maintain it at it's present location are only going to esclalate over time, and with no guarantee that it won't be wacked by a future hurricane, this seems like a no-brainer to me, in my humble opinion.........

I would say, move it first, and worry about the restoration costs later, after it is relativitly safe on dry land -- and future maintenance costs will be a fraction of what it would take if left in it's present location.........
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby Grover1 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:49 am

One man's opinion ... from The Press-Register

http://www.al.com/opinion/press-registe ... xml&coll=3
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby CHUCKX53 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:12 am

Now there's a man who knows what he's talking about -- I would agree with Former Commander Richard Cashdollar 110%.......He's made my points and then some........

I would wonder if anybody at the local paper would be willing to write up an article on the Half Moon Reef Light in Texas, complete with present day photos, and Inform the public about the advantages of moving Middle Bay Light......Being able to visually see the results of such an undertaking is a whole lot better to garner public support than just a cold description of "Plans" and then attaching that scary $1.7 million tag to the deal........

Up North of me, Purdue University is Initiating a $100 Million "Makeover" of their Basketball Fieldhouse, Mackey Arena, slated for completion in November 2011......BUT, they had the word out, with detailed plans, cost breakdowns, benefits for the community, Etc. over two years ago, and was able to gather public support for the proposed project -- One of the selling points made was that a new Arena was projected to cost $300 Million.......

We all know how public opinion can save Lighthouses -- Racine, Wisconsin comes to mind -- and the Historical Commission should employ every tactic the can to get public opinion "fired up" on their side -- If there is apathy about this light, $1.7 Million will seem like way to much...If the Public is excited about this light and all the possibilities, The money will be no object...............
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby Grover1 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:32 am

For persepctive ...

While looking for something else, I found this pre-Katrina thread ... viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4303
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby ericlighthouse » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:46 pm

If they have to move it Battleship Park would be a great location.

It still goes against my grain to move it, but I understand all the reasons. (Mostly, it is harder to do things offshore).
President of Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation, Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse, member and EVP of Florida Lighthouse Association and member of other lighthouse groups.
ericlighthouse
Assistant Inspector

Postby Grover » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:05 am

Now, not moving ... From FOX 10

http://www.fox10tv.com/dpp/news/local_n ... tay-in-bay

(No Photo Credit)
"There are two pips in a beaut, four beauts in a lulu,
Eight lulus in a doozy, and sixteen doozies in a humdinger.

No one knows how many humdingers
there are in a lollapalooza."
Grover
Lt. Commissioner

Postby CHUCKX53 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:21 pm

I can't help but feel that by this action, This light will be doomed at some point by a future Cat-4 or Cat-5 hurricane hit.....And $30,000/year..? No room for restoration there.....

I still agree with Richard Cashdollar.......

It is my opinion that even with another round of repairs, we will eventually lose the lighthouse when Mobile is inevitably hit with another major hurricane. Then we can remember Middle Bay only from the perspective of recorded images.
The real question is whether enough time remains — before that happens — to follow a better course of action.
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Return to Southeast & Gulf Coast Lighthouses