|

Maine Lighthouses in Grave Danger

A forum to post information on endangered lighthouses, fundraising efforts, and rescue or volunteer information!

Moderator: vacastle

Postby Paul » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:44 am

:( Maine Lighthouses in Grave Danger :cry:

http://tinyurl.com/g6ckv

Please Help!

My best, :D
Paul Conlin
ALF Secretary
Help Keep Ken Black's Dream Alive
Join or Make a Donation Today!

Maine Lighthouse Museum
One Park Drive P.O. Box 1116
Rockland, Maine 04841

(207) 594-3301

www.MaineLighthouseMuseum.org
Paul
Assistant Inspector

Postby epona » Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:32 am

As a sort of new Mainer - let me speak to this article.

One - The State of Maine is already buried in requests for monies and I am talking about groups that provide basic things like dental care. The State Maine needs dentists.

If Maine is going to grow it must lower taxes in most areas. It needs to be supportive of business. Again must reduce government spending. Most Mainers want tourists - yes and lighthouses are important part of this. What is the return on investment if money is put into these lighthouses. What a lot of people forget is that Maine does not have a high per capita income level.

Two - Who pays the cost??? The major corporations in Maine, they are small in number. These companies are constantly being hit up for money. These business have only so much to give out each year. The factories and mills have left Maine for other areas of the U.S. and other countries where they can produce goods and make a profit.

Three - This next topic has brought up on this board many times. Some of the lighthouse groups in Maine are stuck in a mud hole. They are not open to new ideas and suggestions. Also something that people tend to forget is that a good numbers of Mainers only live in Maine for part of the year. Out of sight - out of mind and money and the ability to attend meetings etc....

Four - To be posted later.

Carole and Epona
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Timh3 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:03 am

Epona,
Are we to believe that every social service program in place today is good for Maine? That the government would in no way ever makes bad spending decisions with these programs . . . money that could have helped lighthouses from the wasted funds, which anyone with common sense knows have always existed!

Are you saying that our maritime heritage, our maritime tourism, and Maine's way of life to the sea have no worthiness on Maine's economy?
Lighthouses are a direct and indirect source of income to the state's tourism industry.

Lighthouses like Little River and Wood Island, once restored, can be used for overnight stays, educational facilities, as well as for use to groups like Make A Wish, Cancer Support Groups etc.

Lighthouses are among the oldest standing historic buildings, they stand for everything that is good, yet you seem to believe the corporate world should do nothing to help save them while at the same time they use them to promote their business.

Maine has plenty of dentists; what it needs is a boost to the states economy to create more jobs, which lighthouses can play a vital role in.

Plus, we should never allow, what has been built by past generations, to be ignored, neglected or destroyed by future generations.

We need to work to save our lighthouses and the history associated with them for future generations to learn from as well as enjoy.

I'd hate to see a lighthouse be lost and be replaced by a dental clinic.

Tim Harrison
Timh3
Visitor

Postby epona » Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:21 pm

Dear Tim,

First of all thank you for posting.

I will be sending you a private email sometime next week, when I get my facts together. Maine and the coast line of Maine is facing some real hard core issues. I have some questions for you about just how much lighthouses are putting back into the economy of Maine and other places. What are some of the very serious issues along the coast line???

How many summer workers are from out of the U.S.A.?
What about the lack of clean bathrooms etc...
I and other people have many questions on this topic.

I do not mind at all going head to head with you on points I have brought up. I ask that the lighthouse community keep an open mind about the community at large. I would also ask for your respect in regards to views points that may be different than your own. This board exists and allows for open dialog to take place in public.

Carole and of course Epona
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Gary Martin » Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:45 pm

Tim, after 2+ years of being a member of this board, it's nice to see you finally decided to post sometihng.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Paul » Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:56 pm

:D Welcome Tim :D
Help Keep Ken Black's Dream Alive
Join or Make a Donation Today!

Maine Lighthouse Museum
One Park Drive P.O. Box 1116
Rockland, Maine 04841

(207) 594-3301

www.MaineLighthouseMuseum.org
Paul
Assistant Inspector

Postby Biggy » Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:25 pm

While I do agree with Tim that lighthouses, as well as many other historic structures, should remain intact and maintained throughout the future, I certainly understand where Carole is coming from with her questions. In general, many folks, including those who operate businesses and those who are in charge of dispersing funds to non-profits as charitable donations, don't really understand exactly what is needed for restoration projects and the costs of such projects. But on the other hand, what I know of the corporate world, the big suits up top are not always willing to part with funds unless it can provide them with a great PR gig, such as giving to children's, veteran's and medical charities, which always get good press.

Anyway... There are many things to throw around with regard to this topic. I know Tim touches on some of these things now and then in his column and tidbits each month in the Digest, but many of those involved with the corporate world who may offer a helping hand to the funding efforts probably don't read the Digest. So, my guess is there has to be another way of approaching such big corporations in trying to get some additional funding for restoration projects. And that's the part that probably should be figured out, rather than go back and forth on issues surrounding the social and political accolades or mishaps of those who live in Maine. Lighthouses everywhere need help, so the issue is how to get big corporations on board to help the bigger effort.

Just my thoughts ... I'd be interested to know if any of us here, collectively, can come up with a few brilliant ideas to make a such a thing happen. And perhaps, some time in the future, we should, collectively, band together to attempt such a thing. The ALF as well as other lighthouse organizations can become a powerful coalition, so to speak, if all sides were willing. However, my journalism skepticism prevents me from believing that might some time occur.
David
------------------------------
Check out www.biggysphotosetc.com for updates on David's upcoming book, Lighthouses: Maine to Florida, scheduled for an April release by Schiffer Publishing.
Biggy
Assistant Inspector

Return to Lighthouse Rescue & Fundraising