|

Endangered Lighthouse:

Forum dedicated to photos and information regarding history of lights, life-saving stations, keepers, lost lighthouses and more.

Moderator: vacastle

Postby island » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:41 pm

On some occasions a keeper's work was not included in the official Instructions to Light-Keepers.

Annual Report of the Commissioner of Lighthouses

About 5 o'clock on the morning of December 24, 1920 T. H. Baum the keeper of Long Point Shoal Light Station, North Carolina, discovered a sting of 12 to 15 barges had become entangled around the lighthouse, causing violent vibration of the structure. The keeper thought the lighthouse in serious danger, as the sea was running high, with strong tide.

The keeper stated, "I knew something had to be done, and that quick, or the lighthouse would be torn up. When I descended I found that the barges were connected with a heavy wire cable. I got an ax and managed to cut the cable, and by hard labor and perseverance for quite awhile I got the barges on the weather side freed. It was the worst job I ever tackled in the night, but I believe I saved this house from serious damage, if not wreck, for just after it blew hard."

Note: Long Point Shoal was a screwpile lighthouse
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby CHUCKX53 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:23 pm

What an incredibly difficult job that must have been !

An event which would have posed a danger at just this type of light.
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Return to Lighthouse & LSS History