|

A Surfman and a Bull

Forum dedicated to photos and information regarding history of lights, life-saving stations, keepers, lost lighthouses and more.

Moderator: vacastle

Postby island » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:52 pm

This is another tale from Harold Jennings book about his father's service in the Life-Saving Service from 1902 to 1907 when he went into the LHS.

Jennings fondly remembered his time as a surfman. Self-professedly unable to "boil water without burning it," he spent his leave time learning how to cook, one of the duties he had to perform at the station. He eventually came to enjoy cooking, and volunteered to become the station's permanent cook in lieu of beach patrol. Since no one else in the station liked cooking duty, he got his wish.

"'Did I ever tell you about the time I was in the lifesaving station at Wellfleet on Cape Cod?- Cahoon's Hollow?' From there he would tell a story like the night he walked the beach in fear of an attack from an escaped bull. 'During the day someone had gone into town for the mail. News was that a local farmer's bull had gotten loose and it was asked that the life-saving crew walking the beach watch out for this bull...Walking that night on my watch - it was dark and only the stars were out - there was a little breeze and, listening to the surf on the beach, I was walking in a thoughtful trance. When, all of a sudden, out of the darkness, over the sand dunes, came this galloping object right straight for me. I couldn't outrun this bull, so I ran towards the surf, running as fast as I could, lantern in hand. Just as I got to the edge of the surf the bull got me - right behind the back of the legs. Down I went just like a football player tackled me. My face was within inches of the surf's waves. I got my lantern upright - it hadn't gone out. I didn't know what to do. Finally I turned around and heard this thing swishing like a top that was running down. It stopped. There beside me lay a large fish barrel. The wind had caught it just right and it had started rolling down the beach and I thought it was the bull. Of course, you couldn't go back to the station and tell anyone or you would never outlive it and maybe get a name like 'barrelhead' or 'the bull.' They finally found the bull near Mayo's beach in Wellfleet on the other side of the cape.'"
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby epona » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:35 am

Let's see I have heard many a fish tale in my day. But a Bull Story???
Get the double meaning.

Island, thank you for posting out this book. I for one want more stories, yes I do.

Epona
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Grover1 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:28 am

Sometimes a single entendre works just fine ... thanks, Dave
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby island » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:44 am

As there seems to be "entente" I therefore "intendere" to oblige.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Return to Lighthouse & LSS History