|

NJ Lighthouse Challenge this weekend. Who's going?

A forum to discuss lighthouses Mid-Atlantic Region of the US
(New York, New Jersey, Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Delaware)

Moderator: beachbum1616

Postby Lighthouse Joe » Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:42 am

Long time, no post! Between work and home I have been really occupied.

So this weekend we (my wife, my 2 beagles, and myself) are doing the NJLH Callenge again. We even found several hotels that take dogs without making you buy the place.

So who else is going?
Last edited by Lighthouse Joe on Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lighthouse Joe
Head Keeper

Postby Grover1 » Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:16 am

Joe,

It is always a good day when I see you post ... the gap was way to long.

It is my good fortune to say that this year I will not be attending the challenge. For the first time, the planets have aligned properly and the gods have smiled for I have made arrangements to be on the OBX and at Cape Lookout for the OBLHS gathering, meaning I must be at work during the challenge days before leaving Tuesday.

I always enjoy the excuse to get over to East Point, down to Cape May, and around to Hereford Inlet and I hope all those who participate get to complete the loop.

One thing to your advantage ... the chances of rain and clouds ...they just decreased significantly.

Enjoy the weekend ...
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:12 am

Cape Lookout-bound am I as well!!!! :D
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Postby shirin » Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:25 am

I'll be at both events! Whoo hoo!!!! I will not be doing the challenge exactly but will be giving tons and tons of tours of Sandy Hook. Please say hello while you are there Joe! I'll be looking for you and the dogs. :D

Barry- glad to hear you will be at the OBX event. I promise I won't give that strange look like I did the last time 8O

Leah - it will great to see you again as well!
shirin
Lt. Commissioner

Postby wheland » Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:30 am

I'll be doing the modified Challenge. I have a wedding to go to on Saturday and I'm going to try and get to 3-4 Lighthouses on Sunday.

Luckily I failed at the Maryland challenge or I'd have to have gone to all 11 LH's in the NJ Challenge just to get that special certificate. :lol:

I haven't decided if I'm going to repeat last year's trip and go to Sandy Hook, Navesink & Sea Girt or make the trip down the Delaware to Tinicum, Finn's Point and East Point. I'm waiting for a reply from a Wacko that's supposed to be doing the Challenge and wants to get together- I have to see where they will be on sunday and go from there.

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Postby Larry » Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:52 am

Still layed-up with this big chunk of fiberglass wrapped around my leg...maybe next year...... :cry:

Everybody have fun! :D :mrgreen:
Larry
Larry
Inspector

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:24 pm

We'll think of you, Larry!! :D

Shirin, I can't believe that it's been a whole year.......... I look forward to seeing you again, too!!! :mrgreen:
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Postby jaymatt1978 » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:36 am

Well I also think I'm doing a modified challenge. Think my folks and I are just going out Sunday and hit a few of the "more local" llighthouses. I wasn't really looking to do every lighthouse. It's hard since I can't drive but we'll make the best of it! My main goal is to walk around the Twin Lights AKA Navesink!! One is better than none!
Justin
:lol:
Last edited by jaymatt1978 on Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
jaymatt1978
Keeper

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:37 am

Have fun, Justin! Glad to see you here, by the way. Welcome!! :D But don't forget your Lighthouse Friends!! :wink:
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Postby jaymatt1978 » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:49 am

Thanks Leah yeah I joined this forum the same time as I joined the Yahoogroup and have been reading everyday! If I do indeed get to Navesink I will post a full report!
Justin
jaymatt1978
Keeper

Postby shirin » Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:52 am

Justin - while you are at Navesink, Sandy Hook is just minutes away. If it is clear enough out, you should be able to see Sandy Hook from Navesink. If you make it to Sandy Hook please say hello. I'll be giving tours all weekend. Hope the voice makes it through the weekend. :D
shirin
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Grover1 » Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:59 pm

Justin,

Look under the posts in the "most favorite light" section of this forum.

Not for the first set of pictures, and not for the black and white archived photo, but take a good look at "Lighthouse Joe's" stitched photo of Navesink ... If THAT doesnt put you in the frame of mind to see this structure then nothing will.

... AND, after you see Shirin at Sandy Hook, if you live in Northern New Jersey, you'll be taking Route 36 back to the Garden State Parkway. A short ways off this hiway, off of Leonardville Road, you'll find the Conover Beach Beacon, one of the truly unique navigational aids I have seen. Trust that you will want to see it.

It'll be worth the diversion ... enjoy the day.

Barry
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby wheland » Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:56 pm

I just got back from my abbreviated NJ Lighthouse Challenge.

We drove down to Finn's Point, East Point and Hereford Inlet only.

I was hoping to catch Kim Andrews of HL at Hereford Inlet but she had left by the time we got there, unfortunately.

I ran into some old friends along the way- Al & BJ Smith at East Point and several members of the NJ Lighthouse Society at Hereford Inlet along with Betty Mungier the Manager and Steve Murray who is part of the Hereford Inlet commission and the designer of the beautiful Gardens there.

The weather today was nice- a bit cool and windy but sunny and clear for most of the day. I have a few pictures that I have to download from the camera.

Didn't run into anyone from this list or the HL Forums on my trip today.

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Postby Lighthouse Joe » Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:12 am

What a great weekend. Good weather, great people, the dogs behaved, what else can you ask for?

We got to meet seagirt at (where else) Sea Girt and Shirin at Sandy Hook.

I would like to thank all the volunteers of the NJLHC, especially those at Sandy Hook for the "First to Complete the Challenge on Sunday" award, LLOM of Sandy Hook. It will join our collection.

We are looking forward to next year.
Lighthouse Joe
Head Keeper

Postby wheland » Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:56 am

Joe,

Congratulations on your award!

Glad you enjoyed the Challenge. It's a great example of what can hppen when different groups cooperate to run a function.

There are about 15 organizations that have to cocordinate their efforts to pull this off every year and every year they do an excellent job.

I'm just sorry that other committments kept Esther and I from volunteering like we usually do for the Challenge.

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Next

Return to Mid-Atlantic Lighthouses