|

350 miles later

A forum to discuss lighthouses Mid-Atlantic Region of the US
(New York, New Jersey, Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Delaware)

Moderator: beachbum1616

Postby Gary Martin » Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:39 am

The subject line says it... I took a "little" ride yesterday. First down to Sea Girt.

Then down to Barnegat to meet David Biggy and grab some lunch with him after taking a look at his photo exhibit.

I stopped at Tucker Island on the way south (more on that later) and next stopped at Hereford Inlet after weaving my way through the crowds at the local Irish festival to get to the lighthouse.

Finally, I went down to Cape May at the southern tip of New Jersey.

Then it was time to head home... Fortunately, people were driving on the GSP like maniacs last night, making the run home quite a bit quicker!
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Hersh » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:16 am

Nice Cape May shot Gary, I'm glad to see you're getting the chance to head out and get some shutter time.
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Biggy » Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:56 pm

The replica at Tuckerton Seaport is something I forgot to tell you about... mainly because it's really not an easy shot and the real lighthouse fell over a long time ago. Anyway... Glad to know you got there.

As for the others... Great stuff, as always. I'm interested to know how much time you spent in Cape May, since I know when I go there I can't be there less than two hours. And did you stop in town and see all the Victorian B&Bs? They are quite a site unto themselves.
David
------------------------------
Check out www.biggysphotosetc.com for updates on David's upcoming book, Lighthouses: Maine to Florida, scheduled for an April release by Schiffer Publishing.
Biggy
Assistant Inspector

Postby Jen » Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:13 pm

Nice light on Cape May. It's a bit of a trek down there, especially when you accidently cross the Delaware Bridge and not realize it after missing your freeway turnoff! :oops:
Jen
Assistant Inspector

Postby Rob143 » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:49 pm

Jen wrote:Nice light on Cape May. It's a bit of a trek down there, especially when you accidently cross the Delaware Bridge and not realize it after missing your freeway turnoff! :oops:

Huh? How in the world did you cross the Delaware Memorial on your way to Cape May if you were already in NJ? Where were you coming from?
Rob143
Head Keeper

Postby Rob143 » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:53 pm

Sounds like a nice day Gary. I've always been partial to Sea Girt and East Point of the Jersey lights. Nice Sea Girt shot. It can be a little tough to shoot, but well worth the time spent.
Rob143
Head Keeper

Postby Grover1 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:25 am

Gary,

About the Hereford shot ... to these tired eyes, it appears the yellow paint is fading unevenly ... is that the case or just the way the shadows fell on the building?

And following up on Dave's comment about Cape May ...
Enjoy one of America's largest collections of Victorian homes Oct. 6-15 during Victorian Week in Cape May, N.J. The event includes historic house tours, evening ghost tours, boat tours, craft beer tastings, lectures, mystery dinners, brass band concerts and a Chocolate Fantasy Buffet (my boldface). For more information, call 609-884-5404 or visit http://www.cape
Last edited by Grover1 on Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Gary Martin » Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:59 am

I think it was just the angle of the light/time of day causing shadows. As best I can recall, the paint looked pretty even.

There are obviously some places inside the lighthouse, however, where work needs to be done to repair some water damage.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:18 am

Here's a shot of Hereford Inlet from a slightly different angle.

Maybe this will give a slightly more accurate "read" on the color of the paint on the lighthouse.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Jen » Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:40 am

Here's a shot from Hereford in April.

Rob, we were coming from Frenchtown. We took back roads to Trenton, and then picked up I-95 to Cape My. Somehow, we missed the sign for (I think) 55 south and ended up in Delaware. NJ is famous for not having signs, and I'm spoiled rotten that in Michigan, everything is very well labeled, even lighthouses that are accessible by 14 miles of nothing but dirt roads! :idea:
Jen
Assistant Inspector

Postby Gary Martin » Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:56 am

Judging from the shadows, Jen, I suspect you were there earlier in the day than I was on Friday. I was getting into the late afternoon warm light which undoubtedly altered the color somewhat.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:25 am

Living close to something does have its advantages... Over the summer, getting tickets to get into the base of the Statue of Liberty is a challenge to say the least. In September when the crowds are gone, it's a piece of cake. We were there with our younger son last week, which gave me a chance to photograph the old torch that was moved into the exhibit rooms in the pedestal of the statue when the torch was redone for the 100th anniversary a while back.

Given that the Statue of Liberty is one of the lighthouses of the Hudson... even though the torch is no longer internally lighted, it's still apporpirate to post this here IMO.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Jen » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:27 am

Gary, I was there about 4:30 in the afternoon, with sunset around 7:30. I was within three hours of sunset, but being in the spring, the angle of the sun would have been different, also.

Did you climb Lady Liberty also?
Jen
Assistant Inspector

Postby Gary Martin » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:40 am

YEP :!: :!: :!:

I got a number of shots of the interior and from around the base. It's just a matter of getting the files resized to post...
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Hersh » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:51 am

Can't wait to see those !!!
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Next

Return to Mid-Atlantic Lighthouses