|

Sandy Hook in the Winter!

A forum to discuss lighthouses Mid-Atlantic Region of the US
(New York, New Jersey, Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Delaware)

Moderator: beachbum1616

Postby shirin » Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:25 pm

Just wanted to let you all know that they are trying something new at Sandy Hook this winter. Starting January 13th, the Keeper's Quarter's will be open on weekends from 1-5pm. The National Park Service is closing the Fort Hancock museum in favor of keeping the Keeper’s House open. So, when you can think of nothing more you would like to do than take a mid-winter visit to our oldest standing lighthouse you can just stop on by to take a look at the exhibits in the house, take a break from the winter weather and purchase some nice Sandy Hook mementos. We'll have the light on and ready for ya!

Should anyone out there be interested in becoming a part of the Sandy Hook family and would like to be a volunteer tour guide or work in the gift shop there will be an orientation in March. Just send me a message and I'll make sure your contact info gets relayed to the volunteer coordinator.

And finally, for those who are willing to wait until we are open once again for tours, mark the weekend of March 31st down on your calendar. The 11th season of tours will begin at 12pm on that Saturday.

Hope we get to see many of you at the light next year!

I'm already looking forward to my first weekend back at the light. Thankfully I won't have to wait too long. January 20th and 21st will be here before I know it!
shirin
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Biggy » Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:08 pm

Great info, Shirin. I won't have much going on the next few months. Perhaps you will see me at some point. Thanks again for this info.
David
------------------------------
Check out www.biggysphotosetc.com for updates on David's upcoming book, Lighthouses: Maine to Florida, scheduled for an April release by Schiffer Publishing.
Biggy
Assistant Inspector

Postby wheland » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:05 pm

Shirin,

Sounds great. I may stop down myself. I'm even playing with the idea of getting back into volunteering at Sandy Hook next year.

I do want to make sure that people know that while the Keeper's house will be open the Lighthouse will not be open for tours during the winter months- at least that's what Al said at the Sany Hook Reunion Volunteer get together I was at in October.

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Postby shirin » Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:58 am

Thanks for the clarification Dennis. Yes, just the Keeper's Quarters will be open until the Opening weekend at the end of March. We don't need any issues from ice on the lighthouse steps so the lighthouse tours will start up again in the spring. We do have videos you can watch so you can see what it is like to climb the lighthouse though.

Having the NJLHS volunteers there on the weekends to keep the shop open is an experiment this year so it will be interesting to see how the sales go.

I certainly do hope we see many of you there!
shirin
Lt. Commissioner

Return to Mid-Atlantic Lighthouses