|

Punk Kids

A forum to discuss lighthouses Mid-Atlantic Region of the US
(New York, New Jersey, Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Delaware)

Moderator: beachbum1616

Postby Larry » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:30 pm

From The Aegis (celebrating 150 years!):

Concord Point Lighthouse in Havre de Grace was the latest landmark in the area to be tagged with derogatory graffiti, but even though there have been at least three incidents of racist vandalism in Aberdeen and Havre de Grace in the last week, police have not linked the cases.

There are also no suspects in the graffiti investigations, even though police found a car full of kids and a hundred cans of spray paint in Havre de Grace over the weekend.

A caller in the 100 block of Lafayette Street notified police early Saturday morning of malicious destruction and valdalism to the Concord Point Lighthouse in the form of bright orange spray paint marring the historic landmark.

The graffiti spelled out a phrase considered derogatory toward black people as well as the ltters "R" and "S".

Over the weekend, police stopped a suspicious vehicle in the new Greenway Farms development off Route 40. The juvenile occupants had about 100 cans of spray paint and a receipt showing they had recently purchased the paint at Wal-Mart in Aberdeen.

No charges were filed against the juveniles and they have not been linked to any of the graffiti or vandalism.

Although it was painted in a different color, graffiti to the horse statue in the traffic circle at Bulle Road last week also included the letters "R" and "S". The statue was also painted with "KKK" and a swastika, as were a few nearby homes that also included and epithet specifically singling out and calling for blacks to be killed - using derogatory language.

Also last week, a vehicle on Stevens Circle in Aberdeen was vandalized with the same sort of graffiti, including the swastika, reference to the Ku Klux Klan and the racial slurs found in Havre de Grace.

(italics mine) Although all three cases have similarities, Havre de Grace police said they have yet to link any of them.

My thoughts:

-Havre de Grace needs better CSIs.
-What do you bet one of those juvies in the car had the initials R.S. and HdeG police didn't make the link?

I may be heading up there Saturday morning. I'll report back.

Also in today's Aegis, we find that a former friend (and my auto mechanic) of mine (until about six months ago when he screwed over his wife and kids) was busted for carrying a concealed handgun. I'm sure her lawyer is going to run with that one!
Larry
Larry
Inspector

Postby Ross » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:37 pm

I got to visit that light labor day 05 when Shirin and I made our way down the Atlantic coast. That's too bad... sounds like the crime investigators that did the OJ case. :)
Ross
LH.net Administrator

Postby vacastle » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:01 pm

Gee, I remember that weekend (Labor Day '05)...rather fondly.

That 's really too sad about the lighthouse. Let us know what happens from this point Larry.

Judy
New England Lighthouse Lovers
http://www.nell.cc/index.htm
vacastle
Lighthouse Master

Postby Hersh » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:06 pm

Larry, CSIs don't solve cases like this, it's plain old good investigative police work that solves these. As I am 'CSI' I can speak with some authority on the subject. It's not like TV where any case can be solved by a CSI with a 'magic' crime lab.

Just because the local PD said publicly that they can't link the crimes, keep in mind that this is only what's in their news release. Police departments have to be very careful about what they put in media releases, and you the public usually get about 25% of the whole story that way. It's unlikely that these cops are so rediculously stupid that they don't consider this to be one investigation. (Notice I said unlikely, not impossible)

Hopefully they'll ID these worthless excuses for human beings and hold them accountable.
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Biggy » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:25 pm

And Larry... I'll sort of echo Mike's sentiments, since I work in the journalism field which usually gets only about 25% of the story from the law enforcement officials ... In actuality, the police probably are being tight-lipped about letting too much out, probably because they have several leads and they want those involved to get complacent so they can snag them with some sense of certainty.

Anyway ... With regard to the defacing of Concord Point Lighthouse, I too hope the dirtbags with nothing better to do with their lives get caught soon and are punished to whatever extent the legal system allows.
David
------------------------------
Check out www.biggysphotosetc.com for updates on David's upcoming book, Lighthouses: Maine to Florida, scheduled for an April release by Schiffer Publishing.
Biggy
Assistant Inspector

Postby rocky5128 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:37 pm

At least it is only paint. You can clean it off. Chicago banned all spray paint sales within the city limits. Now if you want to get a can of spray paint you have to go to the suburbs. Unfortunately now the vandals are into Acid Etching on the windows. The only way to remove the marks are to replace the glass. I think that if they are caught they should have to do 100 hours of removing graffitti. It might make them think twice about doing it again.

Kathy
rocky5128
Assistant Inspector

Postby Larry » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:46 am

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend. The CSI comment was meant as a joke. I guess I need to work on my delivery. I just thought it was strange that the three cases are so similar, yet they said they couldn't connect them. That's all.

If I recall, Concord Point has been hit by vandals in the past. Then there was the time they found the dead body sitting on the door step. But that was a dump job. I guess becasue it sits down there athe end of that quiet little street it becomes a magnet for the do-no-gooders.
Larry
Larry
Inspector

Postby Hersh » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:17 am

I know these kinds of things are frustrating to the general public, but there's a disturbing trend these days called 'the CSI effect'. People watch the forensics shows and believe that any PD that doesn't do things like the show is incompetent. Any more, prosecuting attorneys have to give opening arguments to juries explaining why real life isn't like TV so they don't find everyone not guilty due to a lack of indisputable physical evidence.
Mike Hershberger

Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Biggy » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:24 am

The reality is that the problem lies within the general public who take those ridiculous shows way too seriously -- just like all the men and women out there who live their lives like a Soap Opera! LOL
David
Check out www.biggysphotosetc.com for updates on David's upcoming book, Lighthouses: Maine to Florida, scheduled for an April release by Schiffer Publishing.
Biggy
Assistant Inspector

Postby ericlighthouse » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:26 pm

I agree if caught they should have to clean up graffitti or if that is already cleaned up, some other vandalism. Make the punishment fit the crime. Make them work.
President of Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation, Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse, member and EVP of Florida Lighthouse Association and member of other lighthouse groups.
ericlighthouse
Assistant Inspector

Postby Grover1 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:34 am

Dave ... Mike

Dont you go mocking on "Grissom" ... Next thing you'll be saying is "Perry Mason" was lucky or "Columbo" wasnt skilled or "Jed Bartlett" was a lousy President ... No, it isnt the "ridiculous" shows that cause the "effect" Mike talks about but the well scripted, well acted ones that cause it.
Last edited by Grover1 on Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Grover1 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:37 am

... and more on topic, while "communty service" seems apt punishment in graffitti cases, when it takes on a "bias" aspect, then somewhere down the line, the next level of crime these vandals committ is going to be a lot larger than graffitti. This would appear more than a cry for attention.
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Hersh » Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:38 am

Well scripted and well acted no doubt. But remember, Grissom aint real!!! I love to watch CSI, but my wife stopped watching it with me years ago because I kept yelling at the TV - "You can't do that" and other such aspersions. Some people have a hard time sorting out fantasy land from the real world.

As for appropriate punishment, I'd say cleaning the port-a-pottys at a county fair for a week would be a good start. After cleaning up as much graffiti as the city could find, of course.
Mike Hershberger

Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Biggy » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:38 pm

OK, Barry, you got me. Well written, well acted. I'll accept that. But don't forget about the many morons on the other side of the glass who believe that unrealistic BS. There's a reason it's fictional. But for some people, a lot of people actually, there's no such word.

As for the apt punishment, why not go the Saddam route? LOL Or is that way too harsh? 8O

I'm joking, of course. I like Mike's idea. But I'd throw in a few other chores as well, starting with scrubbing the gull poop from the nearby dock or the rocks. :lol:
David
Biggy
Assistant Inspector

Postby Larry » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:05 pm

Biggy wrote:scrubbing the gull poop from the nearby dock or the rocks. :lol:

I'll do you one better. There are LOTS of geese that hang around that lighthouse. LOTS of geese. :lol: :lol:
Larry
Larry
Inspector

Next

Return to Mid-Atlantic Lighthouses