|

Punk Kids

A forum to discuss lighthouses Mid-Atlantic Region of the US
(New York, New Jersey, Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Delaware)

Moderator: beachbum1616

Postby Grover1 » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:25 am

In Larry's first post ...

The graffiti spelled out a phrase considered derogatory toward black people

Further down ...
Although it was painted in a different color, graffiti to the horse statue... was also painted with "KKK" and a swastika, as were a few nearby homes that also included and epithet specifically singling out and calling for blacks to be killed - using derogatory language.

And still ...
Also last week, a vehicle on Stevens Circle in Aberdeen was vandalized with the same sort of graffiti, including the swastika, reference to the Ku Klux Klan and the racial slurs found in Havre de Grace.

IMHO, as I was saying , I dont think a can of spray paint and goose poop are your bigger issues here ...
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Hersh » Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:35 am

No, the graffiti isn't the most disturbing issue, but you can't punish someone for having certain ideas and viewpoints. It's those pesky rights we all have. It's like when our city had to spend tens of thousands of dollars for security when the damn kkk wanted to hold a rally downtown. They had to let them assemble peacably, and they had to provide police services. It just seems wrong, but they're all of our rights.
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Grover1 » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:39 am

They had to let them assemble peacably

Agreed ... and in most cases, as Americans, no one would argue the point. Similar to your cited incident, years back, they had to let the neo-Nazis march in the predominantly Jewsish suburb of Skokie becasue of these "rights"

But "acts" start bumping the line of "expression" ... this isnt TAKI 183 we're talking about ... and when the line gets crossed ... and you know those seeds are germinating in this hate-spewed graffiti ... well, then, you can take action.

Let these "artists" put a soap box up in town square and orate their viewpoints ... as in your KKK example ... or my Skokie reference ... and let them not remain anonymous and mongering hate. No would would argue their "right" to do that. What they did was cowardly and inciteful ... and you cannot do that.
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Hersh » Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:42 am

You're right Barry, but the fact that they sprayed graffiti is the crime, what they wrote is completely irrelevant from a legal standpoint.
Mike Hershberger

Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby AL » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:37 pm

Mike,
I have to disagree with your statement:

You're right Barry, but the fact that they sprayed graffiti is the crime, what they wrote is completely irrelevant from a legal standpoint.

at least in the state of New Jersey. The vandalism (graffiti) is a violation of the law in its self. In fact the possession of spray paint may be a violation depending on the age of person.

The content of the graffiti bumps the offense up to a BIAS CRIME. The violations carry a way different degree of penalties in this state.
AL
New Jersey
AL
Inspector

Postby Hersh » Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:20 pm

Ah, I was not aware of that wrinkle in NJ law. I'm not a huge fan of 'hate crime' or 'bias crime' laws, but that's a whole new discussion.
Mike Hershberger

Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Previous

Return to Mid-Atlantic Lighthouses