|

Easter Weekend Visit to Southern NJ info please....

A forum to discuss lighthouses Mid-Atlantic Region of the US
(New York, New Jersey, Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Delaware)

Moderator: beachbum1616

Postby Seasentinel » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:18 am

I was wondering if anyone could tell me about the hotels in Millville where we plan to stay or if there are any other hotels near Heislerville to stay at. We plan to see these lighthouses: East Point, Cape May and Hereford Inlet. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Michelle
Michelle
OBLHS member since 1997
Seashore lover since I was 4
Seasentinel
Keeper

Postby wheland » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:36 pm

Michelle,

There is nothing right near Heislerville. Millville is about 15 miles from there and I know there are a number of motels in the Millville area.

The Best Western gets a fair review on Trip Advisor- a site I've used for several years and I've been very pleased with the ratings there. If you read them right- some people think a 2 star hotel should have 4 star amenities- they are usually very accurate.

There is a Country Inn in Millville that has no ratings on Trip Advisor but it's about $70 a night Easter weekend and I've had very good luck with the country Inn properties I've stayed at. Clean, well run, fairly new and with a very good continental breakfast.

Here's the link for thier website-

http://www.countryinns.com/

It will take about 1/2 hour to get from millville to East Point and then about 1 hour to get to Hereford Inlet from there and then about 20-25 minutes to get to Cape May LH from there.

Hope this helps.

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Postby Seasentinel » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:28 pm

Thanks for the info Dennis. It looks like the Country Inn would be our best bet. I read a couple reviews saying the Best Western was kinda run down and dirty and its not much cheaper. I would like to get some sunset/sunrise pics of East Point so we'll have to plan accordingly for the right time. We plan to get there Saturday mid-morning which will give us ample time to scout out an area to take pics at East Point for those times. I like East Point the best because it's so removed from any other buildings/telephone poles etc. Other words... remote :D. East Point does have a light that is lit at dusk and during the night correct?
Michelle
OBLHS member since 1997
Seasentinel
Keeper

Postby wheland » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:37 pm

Seasentinel wrote:Thanks for the info Dennis. It looks like the Country Inn would be our best bet. I read a couple reviews saying the Best Western was kinda run down and dirty and its not much cheaper. I would like to get some sunset/sunrise pics of East Point so we'll have to plan accordingly for the right time. We plan to get there Saturday mid-morning which will give us ample time to scout out an area to take pics at East Point for those times. I like East Point the best because it's so removed from any other buildings/telephone poles etc. Other words... remote :D. East Point does have a light that is lit at dusk and during the night correct?

Yes, the light is lit. Keep in mind though that what you like about it isn't the best when it gets dark out there.

Esther, my wife, likes Hereford Inlet the best because while it is a very nice looking restored lighthouse it has some very well tended gardens behind it that you can walk through to the beach.

Without actually having stayed at either the Best Western or the country inn I'd go for the country Inn based on what i found online in reviews about both of them. I've also had very good luck with country Inns that I've stayed at- Best Westerns are a bit dicier since they are privately owned and are franchises and quite often are older motels some refurbished some not.

Enjoy your visit to NJ.

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Postby Seasentinel » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:49 pm

We'll bring flashlights with us then to East Point. I'm about the reserve the room at Country Inn now. I'm surprised that hotels can run with such condtions as some of the reviews read. Where's the health dept?? Anyway I'm very excited about going especially since its sort of a birthday treat for me. Tim wasnt able to get my birthday week off for work so we could go to the OBX so we're going the end of the month.
Michelle
OBLHS member since 1997
Seasentinel
Keeper

Postby Red » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:46 pm

Make sure you take bug spray with you when you go to East Point. If the weather is mild the mosquitos and green head flies will carry you away. But it is well worth a couple of insect bites. RED
Red
Keeper

Postby Seasentinel » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:00 am

Red....will the bugs be bad even in April? I know they are bad in the OuterBanks when its warm. Those darn gnats are awful!
Michelle
OBLHS member since 1997
Seasentinel
Keeper

Postby Red » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:32 pm

I hope for your sake that they are not bad, but just to be on the safe side I would carry a can of Off just in case they decide it's time to come out of their winter nap. East Point being in a marsh area really attracts the BIG BUGS. Hope you have a great time, they are three great light stations.
RED
Red
Keeper

Postby Biggy » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:49 pm

Chances are the flies and mosquitoes will not be a problem at this time of year. Even if it's slightly mild, a week into April is simply too soon up here. There's a better chance of a Nor'easter on Easter weekend than of you getting tortured by bugs on a 60-plus-degree day.
David
------------------------------
Check out www.biggysphotosetc.com for updates on David's upcoming book, Lighthouses: Maine to Florida, scheduled for an April release by Schiffer Publishing.
Biggy
Assistant Inspector

Postby Seasentinel » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:23 pm

Thats what I thought Biggy. Not enough warm weather yet. We may try and see Sea Girt, NaveSink and Sandy Hook too :D
Michelle
OBLHS member since 1997
Seasentinel
Keeper

Postby Biggy » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:13 pm

If you're going to go up to Navesink, Sandy Hook and Sea Girt, you may as well stop at Absecon and Barnegat on the way. 8O
David
Check out www.biggysphotosetc.com for updates on David's upcoming book, Lighthouses: Maine to Florida, scheduled for an April release by Schiffer Publishing.
Biggy
Assistant Inspector

Postby wheland » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:49 pm

Biggy wrote:If you're going to go up to Navesink, Sandy Hook and Sea Girt, you may as well stop at Absecon and Barnegat on the way. 8O

I agree but if you find yourself short on time skip Barnegat as it takes a good bit of time to get to and from it from your main route.

Absecon is not quite as long a detour. The other point is- and I know some will dispute this- Cape May, Absecon and Barnegat are very similar lights and while it is best to experience all 3 if you have time issues experiencing only two isn't a bad way to go. i prefer quality to quantity these days.

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Postby Grover1 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:23 pm

Dennis ... Dave ... Michelle

We would agree in a perfect world we would want to see every light NJ has to offer ... from the singularly unique Twin Lights in Navesink ... to the uncommon lights of Hereford and East Point and Sea Girt ... to our pair of spider lights ... to our ocean towers ...

If Michelle gets to East Point, Cape May and Hereford on Saturday she's accomplished alot ... Here's my humble suggestion ...

Forget the two spider lights along the Delaware ...

IMHO, of all the ocean lights, Absecon is the least desirable ... the tower is fine ... the keeper's quarters ok ... and you are nearby to Lucy, but no real feel to the place ... Since there is no other light I know like Twin Lights, I would travel after dark on Saturday the almost two hours and stay in the area of Sandy Hook ... Doing that, you could see TL, SH and drive down to Sea Girt before noon ... From there you are about an hour from Barnegat, where the photo opportunities are far better than those at Absecon. From there, you could, if you chose, go to Tuckerton for their replica light.

The other reason for maybe doing it this way ... if you stop after Sea Girt to head home ... you have 195 to take cross state to the turnpike ... If you decide to stop after Barnegat, you have Rt 72 to take you cross stae to Route 70 ... to 295 south ... to Delaware and points South ...

Just some selfish thoughts on how to get Michelle up to my neck of the woods.
Last edited by Grover1 on Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Biggy » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:45 pm

Oh, Dennis ... I can't believe you said to skip Old Barney. :cry:
That hurts, man.

LOL :D I'm joking.

Actually, of the three designed by General Meade back in the day, I would skip Absecon, only because shooting photos of it is incredibly tough. Black fence around it. Tower in the middle of a slum area (or should I say, slum area built around the tower?). Not much ambiance to the area in which it stands.

As I've said to some people in the past, Absecon ranks up there on my list of "Worst places in which a lighthouse was built around." (Fenwick Island Lighthouse is another) I would pass Absecon before Cape May and Barnegat, even if you're short on time. Even to stop at Absecon for a half-hour is a waste. You could be jumping off exit 63 by that time. Besides, Long Beach Blvd. going north through North Beach, Harvey Cedars and Loveladies is still at 45 mph :!: It doesn't take that long to get there, as Dennis suggests. 8)

Whatever you decide to do, Michelle, I agree with Barry. I'd pass up the "spider" lights altogether, especially Tinicum (which also ranks on my aforementioned list with the baseball complex surrounding it). And Finns with bare trees around it isn't very photogenic. I should know ...

I took this a little more than two years ago. Not very exciting, huh? That's what you're looking at this time of year, Michelle. 8O
David
Biggy
Assistant Inspector

Postby Seasentinel » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:34 am

Wow what a lot of info and very helpful too! Muchly appreciated by all. The reason why I was going to skip Barney was the reason Barry brought up..it takes some time to get to it and back as I recall from over 10 years ago. Also Absecon...again I agree with you all. There's too much clutter and junk around it...not photogenic which I also found to be true like Biggy said of Fenwick. I was pretty disappointed when I saw it but I was already in Ocean City for the huge car show so I didnt go out of my way to see it.

SeaGirt, Navesink and Sandy Hook are my 3 to see now along with the first I mentioned. I cant stay in the Sandy Hook area though as I've already made my reservations and if I cancel I lose $25 on the room :(
Michelle
OBLHS member since 1997
Seasentinel
Keeper

Next

Return to Mid-Atlantic Lighthouses