|

Delaware Bay Lights

A forum to discuss lighthouses Mid-Atlantic Region of the US
(New York, New Jersey, Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Delaware)

Moderator: beachbum1616

Postby Gary Martin » Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:52 am

My God, there was land that close 8O 8O 8O

Nahhhh no pressure, Barry, just having some fun!

BTW, David, the white point was set in the gull poop at 98% and histogram was in the photo that gave the finished image so you know the gull poop isn't blown out at 181 on the RGB slider. If you're seeing it blown out, do you need to get your eyeglass prescription checked :?: You mentioned something about glasses somewhere on this thread... Hey, I've got a good deal for you on a used cane...

Or maybe it's just WHITE
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:13 am

Coming up on Harbor of Refuge Light on the outer breakwater...

And since we were on the Cape May Whale Watcher, it's probably only appropriate that the captain braked for dolphins!

This image was shot straight into the dazzling reflection of the sun on the bay looking more or less toward Harbor of Refuge lighthouse to give me the high contrast to make the dolphins stand out a little better. In case you're wondering, 300 mm "S" priority mode with the shutter at 1/800th of a sec.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:46 am

Getting back across the mouth of Delaware Bay, we went past Cape May, which I had never seen from the water.

Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Red » Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:44 am

Gary,
Nice shots of the Delaware Bay Lights, that is a great trip but a very long day. Was happy to see you saw some dolphins around HOR, all of our tours this year have include many dolphin sightings. One trip we were completely surrounded by what seemed to be hundreds of dolphins, what a thrill. Enjoyed your tutorial on picture taking, most of it was way over my head, as I'm a point and shoot guy. Looks like you enjoyed the trip! RED
Red
Keeper

Postby Gary Martin » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:45 am

Red, there are tips there that will work for anyone. I'll probably put together a more comprehensive tutorial that also talks about setting black points and white points. The computer really has no way of knowing what we visually define as black (RGB=0,0,0) or white (RGB=255,255,255). By setting those points in anyone's photographs you'll get better color quality. The same goes for levels and curves adjustments. Anyway, stay tuned...

We had a very large number of dolphins around us near HOR. I only posted one shot that I particularly liked, but I probably have another 50 or so shots. Fascinating to see them in the wild!
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:17 am

I don't know how well this will work, but we'll give it a try. Below is a flash video slide show comprised of the images I've loaded in this thread from last week's trip on Delaware Bay on the Cape May Whale Watcher.

http://coastalbeacons.com/Delaware_Bay_ ... flash.html

This will run from my webhosting server. When the splash screen loads, click the blinking Delaware Bay Lights in the center. That will load the presentation. It's about 17 Mbytes in this small form. The big version is way too big - about 342 Mbytes, so my apologies for the small version of this. There is an audio track with the presentation so you might want to turn on your speakers.

If you're on a cable modem, this should load quickly and run smoothly. If you're on a dial-up connection, I don't have a clue how well this will work. It was created for a 768K broadband connection, which is pretty conservative.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:26 pm

After the trip on Delaware Bay, I wandered over to East Point before I headed home. The sunset was somewhat of a bust -- the sun dipped into a cloud bank not to be seen again, but it was still worth photographing as it was high tide.

The top of the cloud bank is the brigher horizontal band just below the sun...

Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Red » Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:58 pm

Gary,
It felt like I took that cruise for the fourth time. Thanks for all your hard work putting that video together, I really enjoyed it. RED
Red
Keeper

Postby Gary Martin » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:29 pm

Glad you enjoyed it, Red. Actually it wasn't all that difficult to assemble once the image files were appropriately resized.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:48 pm

Fiddling around tonight, I decided to do a photo mosaic of the Delaware Bay lights from some of what I shot last weekend from the Cape May Whale Watcher. Here's the result.

Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Grover1 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:20 am

You did a lot of walking to get that East Point gallery ... glad you did .. I think you got a keeper or two there ...
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Gary Martin » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:18 pm

One the way down to Cape May last weekend, I left Friday evening and stopped for the night in West Atlantic City so I'd have only a short drive Saturday morning to Cape May. I'm up early most mornings, last Saturday was no exception, so I decided to drive out to Hereford Inlet to do a little photography there before the trip on the bay.

It was quite foggy in N. Wildwood but there were openings in the fog and at times the light was pretty good. The breeze was also cooperating, occasionally unfurling Old Glory. This is one of the shots I got that morning. There are a bunch more that I haven't looked at yet.

Last weekend was pretty good... 11 lighthouses :!: More later...
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:23 pm

Meant to post this one earlier.... before I forget again. All I can say is that I'm glad I wasn't paying his fuel bill :!: Then again, there was a cigarette racer that went by us like we were standing still, whose fuel bill probably made this guy's look appealing. We were doing 20 something and I suspect he was doing 80 something or more :!:

Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Previous

Return to Mid-Atlantic Lighthouses