|

Delaware Bay Lights

A forum to discuss lighthouses Mid-Atlantic Region of the US
(New York, New Jersey, Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Delaware)

Moderator: beachbum1616

Postby TenofHearts12 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:58 am

Unfortunately I am just a "point and shoot" person at present who hopes to someday learn photography well enough to take pictures the near quality of ones that have been posted in this forum.

This discussion has prompted me to ask the question of you who do photography professionally or take very seriously as a hobby:

Do you for the most part take pictures that will represent "exactly" what you saw when you took the picture or something else? (just a question and not intended to offend or directed at anyone in particular)

Speaking just for myself, I want my pictures to represent exactly what I saw when I took the picture. My camera does not always cooperate in this endeavor so sometimes I have to lighten dark pictures, sharpen, etc. I also understand that the content is always going to change dependent upon lighting conditions, etc. I just want people to see what I saw when I took the picture.

Lastly, I do not mean to pile on but if I disagree with something someone else says I let them know what I am disagreeing with and why :-)
"Your never too old to do goofy stuff" (Ward Cleaver, Leave It To Beaver)
TenofHearts12
Keeper

Postby epona » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:13 am

For those of you who did not get my message. I mean no disrespect to anyone.

Read between the lines or lions.

Carole Aka Epona
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Postby wheland » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:29 am

epona wrote:For those of you who did not get my message. I mean no disrespect to anyone.

Read between the lines or lions.

Carole Aka Epona

I think it's fairly obvious by now that many did not get the message you intended to send.

Your last response did nothing but confuse the issue even more. I agree with the others- it's not too much to ask for someone to explain thier position if it's not clear.

I have no clue as to why or what you disagree with in reference to the subject matter of this thread.

Enlighten us, please.

Thank you,

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Postby Gary Martin » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:32 pm

I'm not going to bother to comment on Carole's posts... It has all been said and I would assuredly be piling on top of what I've already said.

As for getting your photos to look like what you saw TenofHearts12, try the curves adjustment on the first page of this thread and be sure to set the black point if the software that you're using allows you to do that. Setting a white point too is worth doing if you have something that is white, but setting the black point borders on critical.
Last edited by Gary Martin on Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Hersh » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:49 pm

Wow, I didn't visit this thread for a while and look at all that I missed !!!

First off, I too appreciate the dissertation Gary provided on levels. I mess with my histogram sometimes, but as I've mentioned before I'm not as comfortable in post processing as I probably should be. I've also never messed with black & white points either.

Also I'm surprised to see you using the Nikon software for your processing, Gary. What prompted the move away from photoshop? And as for the D200, I ordered two of them to use at work and can't wait to get my hands on them... If only I could keep one for myself :(

With the exception of the cryptic criticisms of one member, I have really enjoyed the conversation back and forth on the finer points of this one.
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:26 pm

Hersh, fundamentally, the D200 body isn't bad but it's a lightweight relative to the heft of the F5 you're used to, and it's missing a few things like the portrait shutter button.

Do yourself and your department a big favor and order a pair of the MB200 double battery compartment/portrait shutter button bases. They'll give you the portrait shutter button that Nikon should have put on the D200 body and the heft of the F5 that you're used to. The extra battery in the compartment is also handy, as is the fact that the MB200 base will also take an auxilliary battery tray that takes four AA NiMH batteries if your others end up not being charged for any reason. With the pair of batteries in the MB200 base, I've shot 500 frames and not put a dent in the charge carried by the pair of them when they're fully charged.

The other thing you might want to explore, Hersh, is the EV setting. The color at EV=0 isn't what it should be. I've settled in on leaving my D200 parked at EV = -0.7 to get decent color saturation.

I don't know how many images you typically might shoot at a crime scene, but Mack Camera in Springfield, NJ (the extended warranty folks) had 8.0 Gbyte SanDisk Ultra II CF cards for <$150.00 ea when I bought some a while back. They're not as fast to write to as the SanDisk Extreme IV CF cards, but unless you're using the work hardware to photograph waves in St Joe that shouldn't much matter.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:32 pm

From your comment about NOT setting black points or white points, Hersh, and anyone else reading this, would that be something worth me putting some time into doing some screen shots of ala what I did above with the levels and curves settings? Sounds like it could be shades of Photog 101 all over again...

As for your comment about me using Nikon Capture NX software in lieu of Photoshop version whatever, that tells me that you haven't explored Nikon Capture NX. You ought to visit

http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?ca ... ctNr=25338

and download a 30 day trial copy. If you already own Nikon Capture, it was discounted to $99 when I got it vs. $149 or something like that if you don't have a licensed copy of Nikon Capture or View, whichever the devil it is...
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Hersh » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:49 pm

Regarding heft I'm pretty used to my D70 now, but the F5 still feels like home. And I did order two of the MB200 grips, and I'm very glad I did. (actually they're the only part of our kit that's actually shipped...) Our darkroom table is looking pretty cool right now, we have 16 outfits set up with D40s and SB600 flashes all lined up and ready to go. It will look even better when we put our D200s on there, especially the one with the big money 17-55mm glass on the front.

For CF cards, I ordered six 2gb cards for the 2 cameras (they usually won't be used at the same time), but I may end up getting a few more after shooting a couple of scenes and we can see where we're at. We'd been planning to shoot JPEG for basic scene work and NEF for comparison shots (latent prints, footwear impressions, etc..) but I think I might want to do NEF for all of our death scenes just to be safe.

That definitely is a good deal for an 8gb card, and you're right, no rapid fire shooting for us. Our supplier can get our equipment pretty cheap, I might see if they can do those for us.

As for the Capture NX I'll go get me a trial version, maybe it's time for me to switch from Paint Shop....

And a Photo 101 article on b&w points and the like would be ok with me. If you have the time to write it, I'll surely have time to read it. Probably several times.
Mike Hershberger

Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:34 pm

I still use Paint Shop as a print "engine" for the Epson 4000, Hersh. I like the print layout tools of Paint Shop better than any of the others and it's a whole lot easier to lay out multiple prints on roll paper, etc. I'm starting to do some prints out of Photoshop though because of the ability to load ICC profiles for specific specialty papers Guess I'll just have to get a little more versatile with printing from Photoshop.

I'll see what I can do about assembling some stuff for a Photo 101 on B&W points. I need to find an image where you'll be able to see the difference across the range of B point settings you can make. That may take more time than writing it...
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:40 pm

At the risk of bothering Barry's red sensibilities, not that I'm going to worry about that.... =)) Here are some shots of Miah Maull Shoal Lighthouse from last weekend.

Coming up on the light from about a 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile south of the light it was still pretty darned foggy.

This was closing on the light, shot from the "white zone"

A lot closer, shot from the "red zone"

Well, this was really close with a big lens, what else is there to say?

Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Hersh » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:34 pm

I always try to print from paint shop too, it's much easier. I have downloaded ICC profiles from Epson, but I haven't messed with them yet. Does it really make a big difference?
Mike Hershberger

Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:45 pm

Seems to be a function of some papers more than others, Hersh. I wouldn't say I'm an expert in that sense by any means at this point.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:02 pm

Going north on the bay from Miah Maull Shoal, one next encounters the ruins of the Cross Ledge lighthouse. All that remains is the stone foundation sticking up out of Delaware Bay. Not much to photograph, but...

Continuing from there to Elbow of Cross Ledge - that light has an intersting history. It was built too close to the shipping lane and ran a continual risk of being hit by freighters. The keepers were removed from the light in 1951. In 1953, a freighter scored a direct hit effectively decapitating the top two floors and the lantern room from the lighthouse. Fortunately, since it was unmanned, no one was injured in the incident, other than the lighthouse, which was mortally wounded. The Coasties replaced the lighthouse with a skeletal metal tower which is what serves as a light there today. Again, not a lot to photograph, but...

Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:34 pm

From Elbow of Cross Ledge it was up to Ship John Shoal (I'm not going there again in this thread) and then down the bay past Miah Maull Shoal to 14 Foot Shoal, which I started this travelog with. Next stop going down the bay was Brandywine Shoal, which is a pretty light with a safe anchorage for boaters who get caught on the bay when weather comes up, which it can do quickly.

By the time we got down to Brandywine Shoal, the visibility had improved a lot and we could see it from 3 miles off according to the captain's GPS. Approaching from the north...

...this pano shows the entire shoal. Going up closer, the water wasn't glass smooth by any means but it was smooth enough that you could see the beginnings of some reflections. A white light like this shot at sunset reflecting on a very calm bay would be spectacular :!: Anyone have a boat :?:

Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Grover1 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:42 pm

How cool! The pano of the entire shoal at Brandywine .... and the white looks just about perfect from here :wink:
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

PreviousNext

Return to Mid-Atlantic Lighthouses