|

Travelers take the lighthouse challenge

A forum to discuss lighthouses Mid-Atlantic Region of the US
(New York, New Jersey, Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Delaware)

Moderator: beachbum1616

Postby jaymatt1978 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:06 pm

jaymatt1978
Keeper

Postby Biggy » Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:00 pm

LOL =)) =))

This is funny! Not the fact that people took the Lighthouse Challenge, but the fact the Asbury Park Press ran the story a week late.

None of you would know this unless I mentioned it, but Paula Scully -- the author of the linked story -- and I work in the same office down in Manahawkin. We officially work for the Times-Beacon Newspapers, which is the weekly group of Ocean County Newspapers, which also houses the Ocean County Observer. Well, the Press is all part of our Gannett group and we tend to share stories quite frequently these days.

But to use the Lighthouse Challenge story a week late, after we already published it in Wednesday's Beach Haven Times and Thursday's Beacons (3 editions in 3 other zones of Southern Ocean County), that's just awful!

However, it is very funny to me, since I work for the company and have always thought of our newspaper group as a bit of a backwards-operating bunch. LOL
David
------------------------------
Check out www.biggysphotosetc.com for updates on David's upcoming book, Lighthouses: Maine to Florida, scheduled for an April release by Schiffer Publishing.
Biggy
Assistant Inspector

Postby Grover1 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:18 am

On the other hand, staying with the AP Press ...

Who could argue with the newspaper's sports editor for putting one David P Biggy's story front page center in the Rally Section Saturday morning. Hopefully there was a press box in Brick ... or at least a handy umbrella ... it tended to be a little soggy in these parts Friday night :wink:

Nice article ...
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Biggy » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:07 pm

Barry ... Strangely enough, that Brick-TR South game was one of the few going on Friday night. And that one wasn't even supposed to be my game to cover. If our schedule at the office didn't say differently, I would have been at Southern Regional, one of the schools I typically cover down on my end of the county, watching the Rams beat the tar out of Middletown North.

And yes, I was in the press box. I was mostly dry there. Got soaked after the game, though, when I left the press box to go talk to one of the players in the locker room, which was quite a hike (no pun intended) from the field. Good thing for those L.L. Bean Stormchaser jackets, wool socks and waterproof Timberland boots! 8O
David
------------------------------
Check out www.biggysphotosetc.com for updates on David's upcoming book, Lighthouses: Maine to Florida, scheduled for an April release by Schiffer Publishing.
Biggy
Assistant Inspector

Return to Mid-Atlantic Lighthouses