|

Suit at Saugerties

A forum to discuss lighthouses Mid-Atlantic Region of the US
(New York, New Jersey, Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Delaware)

Moderator: beachbum1616

Postby Grover1 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:27 am

Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Biggy » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:25 am

What a shame. I've heard of people taking spills along this trail. The boardwalk to the lighthouse does have issues, especially at high tide and during flood periods. The boardwalk sorely needs to be raised off the ground. When Melissa and I went to Saugerties in October, the boardwalk was quite flooded and not very safe. Even for as experienced a hiker as I am, even I tread with caution along this boardwalk. Melissa, though, stayed behind because we didn't want to risk injury with her back condition. Furthermore, from what I recall, there weren't many signs warning of possible dangers with this boardwalk, although I do remember one sign saying it does get flooded.

Hopefully, this will get resolved in a positive way, which, with lawyers involved, I doubt very much would occur.
David
------------------------------
Check out www.biggysphotosetc.com for updates on David's upcoming book, Lighthouses: Maine to Florida, scheduled for an April release by Schiffer Publishing.
Biggy
Assistant Inspector

Postby Grover1 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:48 am

I'm no lawyer ...

... but reading, the suit was filed August 28 and the conservancy hasnt settled as yet ... I know there were signs posted when I went and when I mentioned my trip up there, any number of concerned people told me of the perils of the walk out there, especially at lower tides ... I would think a resident, let alone a police officer, would be aware of the conditions when on that property

... either there was a call for "boater in distress" or there wasnt ... either he was performing official duties or he wasnt ... if he was, I would venture he has a case ... if he wasnt ... then I beleive there are fraud statutes as well

... notice the suit was filed in Amy's name ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Biggy » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:23 am

I agree, Barry, that this particular suit does sound like a bit much. The fact that the officer "sustained severe and disabling injuries that are permanent and cause substantial pain," has received a worker's compensation and has returned to work sounds a bit strange. If you receive disabling injuries, how do you go back to work, especially as a policer officer? And ... If the officer has gone back to work, how can his wife claim that "the incident has deprived her of the support provided by her husband." My assumption is that if he is still working, he is still getting paid, therefore there is no deprivation of support, at least financially.

And yes, you're right Barry, there are signs warning of potential dangers. I just don't know how many. And I know I didn't see any of those signs as I approached a particularly hazardous spot within a few hundred feet of the lighthouse itself. But, as you said, I would expect an officer in town to know of the dangers, and, if necessary, call for assistance had he encountered any dangerous conditions if for no other reason than to have an additional person there so they can work together in order to bypass the dangers of the trail walk and reach the supposed boater in distress.

My impression here is that he operated alone, therefore it's impossible to say whether he truly fell on the trail as opposed to someplace else, such as outside or in his house. If he was alone, he has no witnesses to support his claim, which should make it difficult for him to win this suit. For all we know, he could have been drinking out there and fell. This story doesn't tell us that if he was treated at a hospital or other medical facility. It certainly is possible that he could have been drinking, fell, not received medical attention and woke up the next day at home not able to walk straight. There definitely are a lot of questions within this lawsuit, and ones I'm sure the defense attorney will raise as time goes by.

Still, the ramifications of a suit like this definitely can damage the Conservancy's ability to attract people, or force it to make improvements to the boardwalks on the trail, etc.
David
------------------------------
Check out www.biggysphotosetc.com for updates on David's upcoming book, Lighthouses: Maine to Florida, scheduled for an April release by Schiffer Publishing.
Biggy
Assistant Inspector

Postby Grover1 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:40 am

The people begin to speak ... From The Daily Freeman

http://www.dailyfreeman.com/site/news.c ... 4958&rfi=6
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Return to Mid-Atlantic Lighthouses