|

A day on the Hudson - BANDWIDTH

A forum to discuss lighthouses Mid-Atlantic Region of the US
(New York, New Jersey, Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Delaware)

Moderator: beachbum1616

Postby Gary Martin » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:35 pm

My idea of going for a little ride is probably different than most folks... I've been wanting to shoot some of the lights along the Hudson so I took off the day and did that. I went up and started at Saugerties and worked my way back down toward the NY State Thruway. Here's one shot of Saugerties taken from out by the picnic area looking back toward land.

And no, I never get blue skies!
Last edited by Gary Martin on Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Hersh » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:43 pm

Looks like a pretty wide angle shot, what lens were you using?
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:53 pm

That was shot with a 17-35 Nikkor, Hersh, probably at 17 mm but I'd have to check to be certain.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:51 pm

More of Saugerties...

And the crooked stairs I just had to shoot...

I drove from Saugerties down to Kingston. There are precious few viewing points for Rondout Lighthouse but I did find one. This first shot was as 112 mm (actual).

These next two were shot from the same place, both were taken through a Nikkor 300 mm f/4 AF-S lens with a Nikon 2X AF-S teleconverter. The first one was taken with the sensor of the Nikon D3 set for full frame (FX).

The second shot was identical except that the sensor was set for DX, which gives you the typical DSLR "telephoto" factor of 1.5X or essentially 900 mm.

If anyone from lighthousing.net happens to wander up to visit Esopus Meadows, River Road is closed from the north for some sort of repairs. You can access Lighthouse Park from the south, however without any problems.

The first shot was taken at 300 mm.

The second shot was taken with the same lens from the same spot but with the Nikon 2X teleconverter and again with the sensor set to DX, effectively 900 mm.

Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:59 pm

Hey Hersh, I checked that first post. It was shot at 19 mm actual focal length with the sensor set in FX (full frame) mode.

And by the way, if anyone happens to want to visit Stoney Point in the near future, read the sign below :!:

This one was a first in my experience...
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Biggy » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:25 am

Gary ... I went to Stony Point two weekends ago with the same result. Fortunately for me, I was also in the area to have dinner with my dad and stepmother, so I wasn't too disappointed.

But it did piss me off a bit that they didn't post any of the closing info on the state's website for the park. The explanation I received when I asked why the state didn't do that, a lady told me it was because they were afraid some people would feel inclined to sneak into the park to do damage to the eagles. I told them they should hire some more security people to alleviate that, but at least post it in case people decided to visit the park and checked the website for directions or other info.

While briefly at the park, I came across one woman and her husband who had driven from Pittsburgh to Stony Point to visit the battlebrounds. And that's just the kind of injustice done by not posting any notification such as closings to the grounds on the park's website, especially with gas being more than $4 per gallon in most places. That part didn't bother me because I'm only from Jersey and was visiting with my dad anyway, but for others ... enough said.
David
------------------------------
Check out www.biggysphotosetc.com for updates on David's upcoming book, Lighthouses: Maine to Florida, scheduled for an April release by Schiffer Publishing.
Biggy
Assistant Inspector

Postby Biggy » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:26 am

Oh, and nice shots, too, Gary. I'm still trying to figure out another spot along the east side of the Hudson to get Esopus, but so far to no avail. Does anybody here know of a place on the other side?
David
------------------------------
Check out www.biggysphotosetc.com for updates on David's upcoming book, Lighthouses: Maine to Florida, scheduled for an April release by Schiffer Publishing.
Biggy
Assistant Inspector

Postby Gary Martin » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:18 pm

Thanks for the comments, David. I'd be interested in somewhere to shoot Esopus from the east side of the river as well if anyone knows of one.

As for the paranoic crap about people sneaking into the park... I don't know how many of you have seen a bald eagle up close and personal, but I have. Personally, I wouldn't one of 'em ticked off at me considering the size of the talons and what they use them for :!: I would have gone up the Hudson last Wednesday regardless, but it would have been nice to skip going to Stony Point had I known they had the lighthouse and point closed to any visitors.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Return to Mid-Atlantic Lighthouses