|

The Manhattan Touristy Thing

A forum to discuss lighthouses Mid-Atlantic Region of the US
(New York, New Jersey, Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Delaware)

Moderator: beachbum1616

Postby Gary Martin » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:04 am

It seems we never go to see things where we live unless someone is in from out of town. Such was the case yesterday. My older son and his gf are visiting from Michigan so we decided to go take the Circle Tour boat around Manhattan. If nothing else, the boat gives you an excellent opportunity to shoot the Little Red lighthouse at Jeffrey's Hook under the GWB from the water. That said, here's the water view, which just had to be cropped to a vertical pano...

Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Hersh » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:39 am

Not worth much as an AToN now, but a cute little light nonetheless. I don't have much of a desire to see NYC, but I think from a boat like that it would be pretty cool.
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:47 pm

I guess for me, Hersh, it was the juxtaposition of the little red lighthouse beside the 672 foot tall tower of the GWB that does it. The best views, if anyone from on here gets up this way are from the water on the 3 hr Circle Tour of Manhattan. For those who wander this direction before the end of October, there are also the art installation "waterfalls" of a Danish artist on the East River. I've got some shots of those that I'll get up some time over the weekend for people who are too far away to make it to NYC while they're still up.

The waterfalls range in height from I think 70 to 120 feet and they're pumping 35,000 gallons of East River water over the falls a minute. Pretty impressive, especially when you see them from the water, but give me the real thing, ala Yosemite any day :!:
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Grover1 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:01 pm

Gary ...

Ok ... so there's "little red" ... and I'm sure you shot the light opposite Gracie Mansion over on the East Side ... I'm sure you got the two lightships that yous see on this tour as well as the faux light at Chelsea Pier ...

I hope you entertain us with shots of ALL these topical targets ...

... and I suspect the shots of The Waterfalls will impress ...

But WHERE is the shot the most famous ballpark in the known universe? And the new one going up along side it?
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Gary Martin » Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:59 am

You're right, Barry, there is very little 'Red' relative to the great GREY bridge...

I couldn't shoot the Ambrose - badly blocked view. The Frying Pan had a fire boat tied up next to her. Got the rest of the lights... as for ball fields, isn't this a lighthouse forum? Besides, a person gets tired of all the Yankee nonsense... A-Rod this, Jeter that... Steinbrenner somethin' else... gimme a break already :!:
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Grover1 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:20 am

Geez .. and I was thinking of the palace where two Popes celebrated Mass for thousands and where Louis took apart Schmeling, Dempsey defeating Firpo :wink:

Perhaps I phrased the request poorly ... Hope your holiday was a safe one ...
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Gary Martin » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:26 am

Those are all the good things about Yankee Stadium... Insofar as I'm concerned, The House that Ruth Built hasn't been honored by the shenanigans of the team of the team who play there...

The latest is A-Rod's wife left him... now he may loose millions... Hmmmm was Madonna worth it, if there's any truth to that set of rumors :?:

But, yes, I actually did grab one or two shots of Yankee stadium... I'll get around to those eventually...
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby wheland » Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:52 am

Here's some info on a lighthouse related subject in NYC-

I just read in the paper this morning that they are looking into a way to safely open up the Statue Of Liberty's crown to visitors. It's been closed since 9-11.

I'm glad we got the SOL in July 2001. It was actually my first visit to it. I somehow missed the school trip to it when I was young.

I know I took the Circle Line around Manhattan several times as akid but I don't remember seeing any lighthouses- but then again I wasn't a lighthouse wacko way back when.

I've walked down to the river to see Jeffrey's Hook. It's hard to believe you are in one of the world's largest urban areas when you are down there- although the walk down can be a bit scary- you definitely know your in a urban area then. It's not a walk I'd suggest taking except when they have an event going on there.

Esther and I were in NYC last weekend but we stuck to midtown Manhattan for concerts and the theatre- although we did take the Subway to meet friends for breakfast in Forest Hills.

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Postby Gary Martin » Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:09 am

Personally, Dennis, I think I'll take the view from the water. One of these years, if I'm in this area that long, I'll get down to see it from the shore of the Hudson, but from everything I've heard, you're absolutely right, that's best done when there is some event scheduled at the lighthouse and lots of folks around.

For those in the NYC area who haven't seen them, and for those of you too far away to get to NYC to see them before the turn 'em off at the end of October, here are a few shots of the East River waterfalls. This first one is the southernmost of the five. They're pumping 35,000 gallons of East River water a minute over these waterfalls... the art installation, if I remember correctly was costing $15M to run through the summer and to the end of October. I was happy as a clam that my exhibit in St Joe was underwritten by Chemical Bank to the tune of about $1500 for shipping and insuring the prints going out there and back. Hmmmmm where do I sign up for that 10,000X multiplication factor :?:

Going up river, there's one tucked under the Brooklyn side of the Brooklyn Bridge.

Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Red » Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:54 am

Dennis is right, if you want a real adventure walk down to the park under the Bridge. Makes for some great photos, have fun trying to find parking, that was the biggest challenge of all. RED
Red
Keeper

Postby Biggy » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:32 am

The last time I was on the Circle Line (1999), there were a bunch of boats parked on the river in front of Jeffrey's Hook, so I wasn't able to get shots of it from the water. But as Dennis mentions, I wasn't nearly as much a lighthouse enthusiast as I am now (that part of my story didn't start until I saw Barnegat Lighthouse in 2000, after Melissa and I bought our house in Barnegat), so I thought nothing of not getting water shots of the little red lighthouse. Imagine that ... thinking nothing of not getting photos of a lighthouse? :lol: Never again. 8O
David
------------------------------
Check out www.biggysphotosetc.com for updates on David's upcoming book, Lighthouses: Maine to Florida, scheduled for an April release by Schiffer Publishing.
Biggy
Assistant Inspector

Postby Gary Martin » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:20 am

Barry, you were asking for some of the other stuff one sees on the Circle Line tour... Here are a couple of the light on Blackwell Island. The light was awful, but you take what you get...

Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:18 am

Maybe I lucked out, David, there wasn't a pleasure boat in sight on Thursday when we were on the Circle Tour. Probably all saving the gas to go watch fireworks last night on the East River.

Anyway, here's a shot from up river looking down toward the GWB and the Jeffrey's Hook lighthouse. Off in the distance you can see the superstructure and stack of the Carnival Victory berthed at pier 90. She sailed Thursday evening for Canada.

Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby wheland » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:40 pm

Gary,

I know art is in the eye of the beholder but IMHO it's obscene to have spent 15 million to underwrite those waterfalls- especially in this day and age.

They are not art in my eye- I'm sure they are to others but it's just a big waste of money to me.

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Postby Gary Martin » Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:02 pm

Dennis, you're right, art is truly in the eye of the beholder...

We've had sea cliffs in Australia wrapped in fabric... giant umbrellas plunked on the hillsides outside of San Francisco, orange fabric from arches in Central Park, and now waterfalls on the East River. These are what I think are referred to as art "installations"? I guess whether or not these are "art" depends on who is looking at it...
Last edited by Gary Martin on Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Next

Return to Mid-Atlantic Lighthouses