|

Baltimore Light

A forum to discuss lighthouses Mid-Atlantic Region of the US
(New York, New Jersey, Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Delaware)

Moderator: beachbum1616

Postby Grover1 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:07 pm

From The Capital

http://www.hometownannapolis.com/cgi-bi ... _09-43/NBH

Modern-day lighthouse keepers Jane Cox, left, and Mark Jefferies
pose with the light that for nearly a century has helped guide
northbound vessels to the Port of Baltimore.

(Photo/Diane M Rey)
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby NoahG » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:12 pm

I know some have mixed feelings on private ownership of lighthouses, but motivated people doing good work such as this can't be wrong. There are so many lighthouses, that some, especially the offshore stations, might have no future is it were not for the private individuals that come forth. Thanks for the link.
Noah G.
NoahG
Head Keeper

Postby jaymatt1978 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:52 am

I agree with Noah. While we all want lighthouses to be restored and maintained, there also needs to be safegaurds to maintain accessibility to these lights as well. When I hear about individuals purchasing and restoring lights I truly view it as a mixed blessing. While most would think living in a lighthouse would be neat, it takes more work to maintain and requires a skill set beyond repairing a reegular house. I hope these people allow public access to the l ighthouse. If they don't I don't see the difference between them owning the lighthouse and the Coast Gaurd retaining control.
jaymatt1978
Keeper

Postby ericlighthouse » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:29 pm

Private ownship of lighthouses has gone both ways, good and bad.

Cape Florida was saved many years ago because at the time it was owned by a private owner.

West Rigolets had private ownership for about 50 years and they did not do anything to save it, even when at least 2 people (I know of) offered to help. Had it been repaired before the Hurricane if may have survived like the ones it survived before.

That said if a private party restores a light and will not open it to the public, it is better than it becoming another lost light.

Of course restoring and letting the pubic tour it is the best in my humble opinion.
President of Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation, Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse, member and EVP of Florida Lighthouse Association and member of other lighthouse groups.
ericlighthouse
Assistant Inspector

Return to Mid-Atlantic Lighthouses