|

Raritan Bay/NY Harbor - SERIOUS BANDWIDTH

A forum to discuss lighthouses Mid-Atlantic Region of the US
(New York, New Jersey, Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Delaware)

Moderator: beachbum1616

Postby Tybeeisland48 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:39 pm

I doubt I ever will get to any lights in NY, so I will enjoy your images Gary! Thank you for sharing photos many of us will never see!
Tybeeisland48
Keeper

Postby wheland » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:11 am

Gary,

Thanks for the tour. The photos are all your usual level of excellence.

I especially liked the closeup photos of Great Beds. It's the only one I've seen only from shore. It's a good distance out so even with my 12 x optical zoom it's not a closeup looking shot.

I've never seen that building you show in the shot ith Robbins Reef. It almost looks like it was photoshopped into the pictue- it looks a bit out of place. It reminds of a lighthouse up in New England for some reason.

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Postby Gary Martin » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:00 pm

Dennis, thanks for the comments re the photos. Great Beds is an interesting light. I'll probably wander back down there one of these evenings with the 500 mm and a 2X telextender. I'd like some reflections of the light in the lantern room at twilight. Same for Romer Shoal. At an effective focal length of 1500 mm the lighthouse is an appreciable size in the frame.

BTW, there's another shot of Great Beds with a sailboat about to pass in front of the light on the ships and lighthouses thread.

As for the building behind the Robbins Reef light, it definitely wasn't photoshopped in and I don't have a clue what it is but it has definitely piqued my curiosity :!:
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:11 pm

For those who are off in other parts of the country or like Kevin, in othe rparts of the world, here's a map of the lights in Raritan Bay. The map is courtesy of Google Earth. The lighthouse GPS coordinates are from www.lighthousefriends.com which is a wonderful resource for such information if you've never used their site.

Last edited by Gary Martin on Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Red » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:45 pm

Gary,
Great to see these lights up close instead of from the beach at Fort Hancock on Sandy Hook. Really is a large concentration of lights in a fairly small area. enjoyed the tour. RED
Red
Keeper

Postby Gary Martin » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:10 pm

Red, glad you enjoyed the tour of the bay. Big lenses and binoculars are great but those sure don't compare to up close and personal out on the water :!:
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby wheland » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:57 am

Gary Martin wrote:Dennis, thanks for the comments re the photos. Great Beds is an interesting light. I'll probably wander back down there one of these evenings with the 500 mm and a 2X telextender. I'd like some reflections of the light in the lantern room at twilight. Same for Romer Shoal. At an effective focal length of 1500 mm the lighthouse is an appreciable size in the frame.

BTW, there's another shot of Great Beds with a sailboat about to pass in front of the light on the ships and lighthouses thread.

As for the building behind the Robbins Reef light, it definitely wasn't photoshopped in and I don't have a clue what it is but it has definitely piqued my curiosity :!:

Gary,

I worded that wrong- I didn't mean to imply it actually had been photoshgopped- it just has an out of place quality to it for me since I'd never seen it in any other photos. I don't recall seeing it on the NY Harbor Tour we took with the NJLHS several years ago. We got up close to many of the same lights on tha trip but not all of them.
wheland
Inspector

Postby Gary Martin » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:08 pm

No problem, Dennis, I know what you meant. I responded the way I did since I did Photoshop the shot of the Fred R White that I posted on the Ships and Lighthouses thread. I ended up combining two images to give me one that I wanted with the bow visible.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Grover1 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:42 am

Gary ... Was Staten Island Lighthouse visible from the water? Its a great looking structure and I dont know that I have ever seen a shot from the bay ...

Year's ago ... in the late '70s, there was elbow room to shoot ... in the '90's, the last time I was passing through, it seemed affluently cramped up there ...

Check out everyone's first favorite reference for a good photo array and description ... http://www.lighthousefriends.com/light.asp?ID=584
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby wheland » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:31 am

It got even harder to take any pictures of the Staten Island Range Light. The owner of the house next door was very nasty and complained if anybody even looked at the lighthouse if she was aware of it.

The NJLHS ran a bus trip to the light (including climbing the tower) with Coast Guard assistance and she stood out there and yelled and screamed the whole time. She also complained so much afterwards that the next time they ran the trip the Coast Guard refused access to the light because you had to walk over a small portion of her driveway to do so. Anybody going into the LH had the right to access but they decided they didn't need the grief from the lady next door. She has since moved so access may be a bit easier in the future.

It's definitely the upscale area of Staten Island surrounding the LH, though.

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Postby Gary Martin » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:31 pm

Why is it that some who live in proximity to lighthouses seem to adopt the philosophy that it's exclusively THEIR light and no one has a right to look at it or take photos?

Same for the residents who live around Big Red in Holland, Michigan. They wanted an excuse to keep people out so they created an artifical parking shortage by digging up a parking lot that would handle about 100 cars when I first moved to Michigan and then they used the parking shortage that THEY created as an excuse to gate off access to Big Red. They were, however, eventually required to put in 3 parking places to provide access to Big Red since it's now on the register of National Historic Places :!:
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby wheland » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:58 pm

Gary Martin wrote:Why is it that some who live in proximity to lighthouses seem to adopt the philosophy that it's exclusively THEIR light and no one has a right to look at it or take photos?

Gary,

In this case the lady had little or no love for the lighthouse. She was apparently concerned that those crazy peopel who came around were going to steal her children.

I also think in many cases it's more a reaction to the loss of privacy that goes along with having something like that next door- or in the cases of many active duty Coast Guard personnell and thier families living in something that people think belongs to them.

The bad attitude can often be helped along by inconsiderate visitors to lighthouses that don't take into consideration the idea that it may be on private property, a person's home, walk over or through a neighboring property to get that perfect shot. "I have met the enemy- and he is us" as the old saying goes.

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Postby Gary Martin » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:33 pm

All true, perhaps, Dennis, but when people dig up a parking lot ala what they did at Holland, that's another story.

I generally make it a point to ask before venturing onto anyone's property to photograph. Most are fairly accomodating when you extend them the simple courtesy of just asking.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby wheland » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:03 pm

Gary Martin wrote:All true, perhaps, Dennis, but when people dig up a parking lot ala what they did at Holland, that's another story.

I generally make it a point to ask before venturing onto anyone's property to photograph. Most are fairly accomodating when you extend them the simple courtesy of just asking.

Gary,

I agree with you on all of the above.

I've found the same to be true- asking more often than not works just fine.

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Postby Gary Martin » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:05 pm

The other light we got in on Saturday was Coney Island. I didn't shoot much of the Coney Island light... shooting east in the morning doesn't make for great shots by any means but at any rate, here's one of Coney Island from the water for those who have never seen it from that perspective.

Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

PreviousNext

Return to Mid-Atlantic Lighthouses