|

Raritan Bay/NY Harbor - SERIOUS BANDWIDTH

A forum to discuss lighthouses Mid-Atlantic Region of the US
(New York, New Jersey, Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Delaware)

Moderator: beachbum1616

Postby Gary Martin » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:16 pm

I went out to Staten Island today to shoot the Staten Island lighthouse. It was a beautiful day and that light is a challenge to shoot because of all the houses and trees. Anyway, here are a couple of shots of it. I'm not happy with the conversion to a jpeg. Darned moire effect in the sky when these were converted to jpegs, but I've tried several times and can't get rid of it.

Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:43 pm

Looks like you had another magnificent day, Gary! Maybe not a stormy Lake Michigan, but beautiful photos nonetheless!!!
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:22 pm

Wasn't too shabby, Leah. Was pretty darned hot though :!: In addition to Staten Island, I went by New Dorp, photographed at Elm Tree, saw West Bank, Romer Shoal and Old Orchard Shoal out on Raritan Bay in the distance, and then saw Great Beds from the west end of Staten Island.

Here are a couple of shots of West Bank and Great Beds off in the distance.

On this first one, in case you can't read the sign on the left... "Danger, Keep Off."

Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:43 am

I've got some detail shots of Staten Island. Here's the first of those showing the iron work supporting the walkway around the watchroom level.

Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:12 am

From Staten Island, I wandered over and found New Dorp lighthouse, which is now a private residence. Note to self... go back when you can shoot up through the trees when there aren't any leaves on the trees :!: From New Dorp, it's pretty much a straight shot down the hill to Miller Field. Out at the end of the road stands the Elm Tree lighthouse, which was the front range light for the Swash Channel that paired with the New Dorp lighthouse.

Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby wheland » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:59 am

Gary,

Thanks for bringing back good memories. I've done several trips to Staten Island on my own and got to do it with a group from the NJLHS a couple of years back.

The shots are of your usual quality- I don't see anything to complain about in the photos of the Staten Island LH but then again I'm not even a rank amateur when it comes to this stuff. I just know what I like and what I don't like- not why.

Where is the vantage point for Great Beds on Staten Island? Is it any closer than the marina area in Perth Amboy? or the park in South Amboy?

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Postby Gary Martin » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:05 am

Dennis, I think you can physically get closer from the Manhattan Street terminus on Staten Island. Here's a map from Google Earth. The pushpin for Great Beds is using the GPS coordinates from lighthousefriends.com.

As you go down Manhattan St. you come to a circle at the end and from there it's about a 50 foot walk to the beach. You can walk west from there toward Conference House Park to get to the closest point, which is physically closer than you can get from South Amboy or Perth Amboy. If you come down Page to Hylan Blvd, turn right and then left onto Manhattan St. you'll get to where I was yesterday.

If you go to Google Maps and punch in a search for Manhattan Street, Staten Island, it will get you to the right place. Hope this helps.
Last edited by Gary Martin on Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:08 am

Dennis, what I was grumbling about refers to the first two Staten Island photos that I posted. If you look closely in the sky to the left of the lighthouse, you'll see some pixelation and moire banding in the blue of the sky. This happens when you've got a photo with lots of detail (the trees) and create a jpeg. As you crunch the jpeg further and further, the problem gets worse. These two shots are a compromise between quality and size. Larger images would minimize and eventually eliminate the problem all together albeit at the expense of increasing the bandwidth correspondingly.
Last edited by Gary Martin on Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby wheland » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:09 am

Gary,

Thanks. I may take a drive up there this week.

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Postby Gary Martin » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:10 am

I'm probably going to go back there one evening soon with big glass. I want to get some sunset and reflection shots of the lantern lighted.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:45 am

Here are some additional detail photos from Staten Island.

Since Staten Island lighthouse is a New York City landmark, I hope that that will translate into some fresh paint at some point for the lantern room and the iron work.

It appears that the West Bank light has had a fresh coat of paint this summer. Hopefully, Romer Shoal will be next on the list -- it needs scraping and painting rather badly at present.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Grover1 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:50 am

Gary ...

Thanks for posting the closeup of the lantern room from the Staten Island lighthouse ... besides the detail of the ironwork, all can see the off-white, brick-by-brick exterior ... the more distant shots first posted lend to the illusion of being a more smooth exterior ...

(PS ... I was actually referring to the first one posted earlier on the thread ... you posted the next set simultaneous to my post ... )
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Gary Martin » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:22 am

The big difference between the first two posts of Staten Island is a large difference in focal length. That's what translates into the observed lack of brick detail in the first shot, Barry.

Here are the geek stats:

The first shot was taken with a Nikkor 17-35 f/2.8 at an actual focal length of 35 mm.

The second shot was taken with a Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8 lens at an actual focal length of 125 mm.

The fourth shot showing the lantern room was with the Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8 at an actual focal length of 200 mm.

All of them were shot in RAW mode. The first two were iso=200, the one at 200 mm was iso=400.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:25 am

Here are the last two shots of Elm Tree. The first one was shot from beneath the light. The second shot was a reflection of the tower in a puddle from the previous nights rain that happened to give a nice reflection.

Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:08 pm

Dennis, if you get some shots of Great Beds from the beach on Staten Island, please post some of them.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

PreviousNext

Return to Mid-Atlantic Lighthouses