|

For whatever it's worth

A forum to discuss lighthouses Mid-Atlantic Region of the US
(New York, New Jersey, Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Delaware)

Moderator: beachbum1616

Postby Gary Martin » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:20 am

Of late I've been taking off on Sunday morning to go out to do some photography. There were two lighthouses on this morning's agenda.... Coney Island and Fort Wadsworth.

Coney Island lighthouse sits in the private gated community of Seagate. While the police officer manning the booth was polite, it was essentially, "take a hike" :!: "Unless you live here or are visiting someone who does, you aren't getting in or going to see the lighthouse. :( For those of you who live in this area, you might want to save the trip. In the meantime, I'm checking with friends here to see if anyone knows anyone who happens to live in Seagate...
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby wheland » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:12 pm

Gary,

It used to be a bit easier to talk your way in when the last Keeper was still living there.

You could often get past the guard by mentioning the Keeper's name and or displaying a card showing that seemed to indicate you represented a Lighthouse organization.

The gated community is of a sect of Hasidic Juduism and they take thier privacy seriously for various reasons.

I imagine with all the publicity that Coney Island LH got a couple of years ago with news stories and tv pieces on it that the number of people trying to- and or gaining entrance- skyrocketed.

I also imagine that some of those who did gain entrance did not behave themselves as they should have and the residents probably complained.

Did you make it over to Fort Wadsworth without any problem? I don't recall- is the museum there open on Sundays? The last time I was there was for a NJLHS Summer meeting . We got a special tour of the Lighthouse.

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Postby Gary Martin » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:38 pm

Dennis,

I tried the NJLHS membership card... no go. Makes me wonder if it might be possible for NJLHS to prearrange a visit there at some point as an outing?

As for Fort Wadsworth, the museum is open 10-5 on Sundays. I wasn't terribly concerned about the museum hours, I was there to photograph outside and got a number of good shots... I downloaded them and downsized them from the ~35 Mbyte TIFFs that I get when I convert them from Nikon's RAW or NEF format. I'll probably get some of those posted later this evening.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby wheland » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:05 pm

Gary,

Entry to the Coney Island LH has become difficult for anybody. The LI Chapter of the USLHS tried to get it open as part of thier Lighthouse challenge- it was a no go.

There was talk of doing some needed maitainence that is required to safely open the LH. It has not met with much success as of yet.

As for the Museum at Ft Wadsworth I mentioned it more for others who may need a bit more incentive to visit the area. Thanks for adding the hours- that will help as well.

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Postby Gary Martin » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:41 am

Dennis,

The same sort of thing is essentially going on at Big Red in Holland, Michigan. That ended up being somewhat resolved because Big Red is on the National Register of Historic Places, which requires that public access has to be granted.

The "locals" put in 3 parking spaces for visitors... BEHIND the gated guard house, making it less than optimally convenient for people to use the parking spaces to visit the lighthouse. Their claim was that there was a parking shortage and that they hence needed to restrict access. They never mention, however, that they plowed under a parking lot with about 100 spaces in it that was there when I first moved to Michigan in the mid 90's :!: It works, more or less if you're persistent when you visit Big Red.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Blacktphoto » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:18 pm

This is an image taken from behind the gate, circa May 2004:
I got there before 7 am, and politely asked the guard if I could take a couple of quick photos of the lighthouse. He told me to be in and out, and I respected his direction.
Blacktphoto
1st Assistant Keeper

Postby Gary Martin » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:05 pm

I may have to give the crack of dawn a try, John....

Failing that I'll get a copule chances to shoot Coney Island from the water in the next couple of weeks.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Return to Mid-Atlantic Lighthouses