|

6 hours on the waters of New York Harbor and Raritan Bay

A forum to discuss lighthouses Mid-Atlantic Region of the US
(New York, New Jersey, Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Delaware)

Moderator: beachbum1616

Postby Gary Martin » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:29 pm

This past Saturday, I spent 6 hrs out on the waters of New York Harbor, Raritan Bay, the East and Hudson Rivers on a New York Water Taxi catamaran seeing and photographing 20 of the lighthouses of the region. Not a bad deal when you get to shoot 20 lighthouses in 5 hrs :!:

For those who live in this part of the country who didn't go, and those of you too far away to make it here for the event, you missed a great trip. I guess I shot somewhere in the range of about 700 photos while out on the waters... and that didn't put much of a dent in the storage capacity of the 48 Gbytes worth of CF cards I had along for the two cameras that I took. Virtually everything was shot with either a 17-35 mm f/2.8 Nikkor or an 80-200 f/2.8 Nikkor lens. I think I used a 300 mm f/4 once or twice and a 14 mm f/2.8 once. Anyway, I'll start posting the lights of the day in a series of posts on this thread for those of you who couldn't make it...
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:38 pm

While we were waiting at the marina to board the water taxi, it was just a tad foggy... this shot is looking across the Hudson toward Manhattan through the morning fog.

To give you a point of reference, the eight-sided, mesh looking item in the near left is one of the world's largest clocks on the grounds of the Colgate Building for those of you who are familiar with this part of the Hudson River.
Last edited by Gary Martin on Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:59 pm

Given the opportunity, I love to shoot high contrast images. There is something about the starkness of them, with occasional hints of color that I find intriguing. While waiting to board the water taxi, this shot was there for the taking from the dock of the marina, again looking toward Manhattan, whose buildings you can see in the foggy distance. I liked the one hint of blue around the reflection of the sun through the mists on the water.

More or less not moving from where I stood, but turning my back on the sun, a very different reflection was to be had...

For whatever it's worth, I'm going to post these more or less chronologically as they were shot during the course of the day...
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:07 pm

After leaving the dock and turning in the marina, we headed out toward the Hudson and turned to starboard to head down river toward the Statue of Liberty. With all the tensions between Washington and Moscow, I decided to post a mosaic that I did recently, Lady Liberty VI, a copy of which is now framed and hanging in the home of a close Russian friend and scientific collaborator of mine who lives in Moscow.

I'll get some of the images from last Saturday's trip posed shortly...
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:26 pm

From Saturday morning...

Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:46 pm

Heading down harbor, we passed Robins Reef off in the distance to the west... according to George the deck hand on the taxi, we were coming back later to get up close and personal... So, more of Robins Reef later.

George was a very cool guy, and quite knowledgable about the harbor and a lot of fun to chat with during the course of the day.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby TenofHearts12 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:41 pm

Great photos and thanks for sharing; I especially like the one of Lady Liberty in the top photo from "saturday morning"...
"Your never too old to do goofy stuff" (Ward Cleaver, Leave It To Beaver)
TenofHearts12
Keeper

Postby Grover1 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:50 am

Gary ...

The mosaic was well worth waiting for ...

I especially enjoyed the second from the last posted picture. Photos seldom give a perpective on how big a structure the Statue of Liberty is and I think you captured it here ...
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby vacastle » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:22 am

This must have been the NELL trip Saturday.
Nice! I especially like the collage. Any people photos from the trip?

Judy
New England Lighthouse Lovers
http://www.nell.cc/index.htm
vacastle
Lighthouse Master

Postby wheland » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:48 am

Gary,

Astounding photos as per usual.

Esther and I would have been on this one except for one thing- on saturday we were in Vancouver, BC doing our own lighthousing. We got to see Atkinson Point, Brockton point . Prospect Point and the Capilano (first Narrows) lights mostly up close and personal.

Photos to follow shortly. We got to see 17 lighthouses on our trip to BC and WA.

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Postby Gary Martin » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:58 pm

Thanks for the comments, everyone. Sorry, Judy, I about never photograph people...

From Robins Reef, we went down the harbor toward Fort Wadsworth and the Verrazano Narrows bridge. Approaching Fort Wadsworth from the north...

Up close and personal through a telephoto at 300 mm

...and finally, pulling away toward the bridge...

Personally, I was pleased with the reflections of the fort in the waters of the harbor.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:18 pm

From Fort Wadsworth, we cruised under the Verrazano Narrows and across the shipping channel to Coney Island, which sits inside of a private, gated community the security guard for which wouldn't let me in a couple of weeks ago on a Sunday morning. But, never the less, here are a couple of shots of this still active light from the water.

More of the bridge later.... for that matter, more of everything else later too, my eyes have had it for the day. Too many hours in front of computer monitors at work and now here at home.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:11 pm

Gary, those are all awesome, but I especially love the harbor photos. There is just something so tranquil and serene about those shots and it feels good just to look at them.

Thanks, Gary!!!!
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Return to Mid-Atlantic Lighthouses