|

Fenwick Island Presentation

A forum to discuss lighthouses Mid-Atlantic Region of the US
(New York, New Jersey, Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Delaware)

Moderator: beachbum1616

Postby Grover1 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:41 am

From The Coastal Press

AARP talk will shed light on Fenwick Island lighthouse

OCEAN CITY -- The February speaker for the Ocean City AARP Chapter 1917 will be Jan Thompson, volunteer coordinator for the Fenwick Island Lighthouse. AARP will meet Thursday, Feb. 12, at Northside Park with coffee and conversation at 9:30 a.m.

"We are delighted to have Jan Thompson as our guest speaker," said AARP President Nancy Howard. "There is a great deal of interest in the lighthouse and how it came into existence."

The 87-foot tower has an unusual design in that the outer brick tower is conical, while a second inner brick tower is an 8-foot diameter cylinder. The lighthouse housed a third-order Fresnel lens, and the beam could be seen 15 miles away. The original lamp burned whale oil. Built just east of the tower, the keeper's residence included cisterns in the basement for collecting rain water. A 150-year birthday celebration for the lighthouse is planned for Aug. 1.

The new Friends of the Fenwick Island Lighthouse president is Winnie Lewis. The Web site is home.comcast.net/~newlight-housefriends.
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby beachbum1616 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:00 pm

I have always liked visting this light, eventhough it is in the midst of the busy city life. It was only "open" one time we were there, but we were able to look up inside it, not climb. If the tower is safe to climb, I think more people would gain interest in the lighthouse.
Stephen

beachbum1616
Lighthouse Master

Postby ericlighthouse » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:22 am

I agree Stephen. When I was there a few years ago, you could look inside but not go inside, go the only thing you could really see was the bottom steps.
President of Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation, Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse, member and EVP of Florida Lighthouse Association and member of other lighthouse groups.
ericlighthouse
Assistant Inspector

Return to Mid-Atlantic Lighthouses