|

NJLHS and the Seaway Trail

A forum to discuss lighthouses Mid-Atlantic Region of the US
(New York, New Jersey, Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Delaware)

Moderator: beachbum1616

Postby Gary Martin » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:24 am

For those of you who aren't members of NJLHS, they're doing a trip in June that will cover most of the lights along the Seaway Trail that runs from Erie, PA on the west to Tibbetts Point at the mouth of the St Lawrence River near Cape Vincent, NY. I did all of the Ohio Lake Erie Coastal Trail and the Seaway Trail last October and had a spectacular time.

Here's a link to the NJLHS.org web page describing the June trip if anyone is interested:

http://www.njlhs.org/meeting/njlhsevents.html#trip
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:34 am

The following link will take you to a page on my website that has a link to a slide/audio of the trip along the shores of Lake Erie, Lake Ontario, and the St Lawrence River last October. The slide show is housed on the Photodex.com page and again requires a plug-in to view the presentation. There are around 250 slides in the presentation culled from the roughly 6,000 images that I shot on the 2200 mile trip.

http://www.coastalbeacons.com/greatlake ... otodex.htm
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Grover1 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:54 am

The NJLHS trip is a great opportunity. However, while you do need the time, you really dont need those kinds of dollars to do this kind of trip ....

A few years back I grabbed my Minolta, my Rand McNally Atlas, my Penrose reference (100 Eastern Great Lakes Lighthouses), and followed a whole lot of great NY State road signage to see the lights from Ogdensburg to Fairport Harbor ... I took four days and had a great time ... I also slipped over the border to see the lights in Prescott Harbor and Windmill Point at the eastern end of the trail and a pair of Canadian range lights within hailing distance of Niagara Falls ... I believe you now need a passport to go Canadian

The highlight for me may have been seeing the light at Selkirk. So not computer literate, this could have been the second lighthouse website I ever landed on ... I was rehooked from that point on ...

This was a great trip that encompassed approximately 40+ lights ... Why the title of the Penrose book? The rest of the 100 are on the Canadian side, on the northern side of the river and lakes ... I did that trip the following year, coming through the tunnel in Detroit and circling back through Ohio, ending at Ashtabula or Conneaut (I would have to check my notes).
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Gary Martin » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:31 am

You can definitely plan the trip and do it on your own for a lot less than they're charging. I'm also not sure why they didn't do the entire Seaway Trial, but they didn't.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Return to Mid-Atlantic Lighthouses