|

Theft from Esopus Meadows

A forum to discuss lighthouses Mid-Atlantic Region of the US
(New York, New Jersey, Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Delaware)

Moderator: beachbum1616

Postby Grover1 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:03 pm

Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby epona » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:12 pm

Sad!
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Postby wheland » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:15 am

epona wrote:Sad!

Unfortunately this is going to happen more and more as the days go on. It used to be that a person in a position of trust might do this to live lavishly- spend, gamble, etc.

You're going to see more cases of people in tough situations succumbing to the temptation of that money they control for others.

I'm not trying to justify it- just saying we'll see it more often for different reasons.

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Postby Ross » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:30 am

I hoped I saw the last of this type of thing after Dutch Island, Rhode Island had similar issues. It's too bad, it's hard enough trying to raise funds in these times.

I'll also note in the story: "who is the acting director and treasurer", that's a big red flag for me. That and husband/wife or family members that are chairs and treasurers. Too bad.
Ross
LH.net Administrator

Postby epona » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:52 am

Like many things in life you need to have checks and balances. If possible an organization should be having someone not involved with it to check over the books. It is much better to find someone from the outside to take an objective look at the goals of a group and if they are being meet.

Carole
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Postby LighthouseNews » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:07 pm

This unfortunately is happening all too often right now. Everyone from people in government to treasurers of non-profits.

We unfortunately had to be concerned with something like this when I was with the Friends of Pemaquid Point Lighthouse. The first chairman ran another non-profit into the ground with wasteful spending and poor business practices, such as putting his wife on the payroll. Our concern, fortunately, was more on the order of how will this affect us...will his association with us cause any to doubt we were on the up and up.

All non-profits should be externally audited annually, unfortunately not all manage to do so. Particularly the smaller groups.
LighthouseNews
Head Keeper

Postby epona » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:48 pm

Per what Sue said, this is a real issue for small non-profits in particular. Sometimes you can find someone to volunteer to take very important tasks like this on. What Sue, is saying correct when things like this happen it can cloud the good work the group has done. People must ask themselves why they want to continue giving money only to see it stolen.

Along the same lines, if a nonprofit organization has ethical issues or police involvement why do I want to give. It does not look good when one of your major contributors ends up in court or jail.

Carole
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Return to Mid-Atlantic Lighthouses