|

Makeover for Execution Rocks

A forum to discuss lighthouses Mid-Atlantic Region of the US
(New York, New Jersey, Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Delaware)

Moderator: beachbum1616

Postby Grover1 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:14 pm

Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby CHUCKX53 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:04 am

Every Lighthouse restoration has to start somewhere.....Good to see that some people are stepping up to get this one going....... :)
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby MontaukPoint » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:26 am

Glad to see this is getting some attention. The name has an interesting history (in case you didn't know before): the brits would shackle captured patriots to the rocks at sunset and let them drown when the tide came in.
-----
Lighthousing.net Administrator

Lighthouse Photography and More:
http://www.alanbotphotography.com
MontaukPoint
LH.net Administrator

Postby CHUCKX53 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:56 am

I had assumed the name related to shipwreck potential and loss of sailor lives, but somehow this makes the name more.....Fitting ??

Shades of Creepshow I -- "I can hold my breath - for a loooong time !!"
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby Blacktphoto » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:08 pm

Haven't thought of that scene in years...very apt! :lol:

I have to say that an overnight stay there sounds like the antithesis of the romantic atmosphere most lighthouses turned B & Bs try to capture. Actually, that quality might be a pretty cool difference in theme that would set an overnight stay here apart.

Hmmm....get those marketing wheels turning. Call the fund raising effort the "Stay of Execution" campaign!
Last edited by Blacktphoto on Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blacktphoto
1st Assistant Keeper

Postby LighthouseNews » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:19 pm

The president of the HSS, Craig Morrison, is apparently offering to let anyone come out and climb the tower on July 4.

From reading in this story above, I have to wonder at the wisdom of that. Unless they have a significant amount of insurance, I wouldn't want to risk anyone climbing the stairs if they're in that bad of condition. :roll:

This just goes to prove my original thoughts on the group. If anyone is interested in hearing them, just send me a PM as I won't be putting it out in a publicly viewable forum. :twisted:
LighthouseNews
Head Keeper

Postby Blacktphoto » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:05 pm

Braving Long Island traffic during the summer is frightening in and of itself, let alone on a holiday weekend. That thought by itself was enough to keep me away.

Anyone actually go?

- John
Blacktphoto
1st Assistant Keeper

Postby Grover1 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:54 am

Liked this column ... "On the Bay" (Of course, it really isnt on the bay) .. from The Port Washington Times

http://www.antonnews.com/portwashington ... -2009.html
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Soundbounder » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:31 am

MontaukPoint wrote:Glad to see this is getting some attention. The name has an interesting history (in case you didn't know before): the brits would shackle captured patriots to the rocks at sunset and let them drown when the tide came in.

I have heard that story many times.
But it is an urban legend. Executions did not take place at Execution Rocks.
It received its name because it was a danger to ship traffic.
Soundbounder
Visitor

Postby Grover » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:48 pm

Good News ... another grant ... From Newsday

(Please note ... its location is off Sands Point )

Sands Point Lighthouse Gets $600G State Grant
By BILL BLEYER bill.bleyer@newsday.com

The nonprofit group restoring the historic Execution Rocks Lighthouse off Sands Point has gotten a boost from a $600,000 state grant.

Craig Morrison, president of Philadelphia-based Historically Significant Structures, said the group learned this week from the state Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation it would be eligible for the funding. The money would cover almost half of what's estimated to be a $1.4 million restoration.

"It's fantastic," Morrison said.

But there's a significant catch. The state will reimburse the organization for 50 percent of what it spends, up to a total of $600,000, within five years. "We have to present paid bills from contractors to the state to get the money." And so far the group has raised only $3,000. "We need a lot more to even start contracting" - about $100,000. "We're still looking for corporate and private sponsors."

Morrison said restoration work on the structure built in 1850 would begin with removal of lead paint from the interior. That could be done this summer if enough funds are raised.

The grant would also probably cover the cost of running electricity out to the lighthouse, restoration of the interior of the keepers' quarters and painting the exterior of the tower, Morrison said. The second half of the work would include reconstruction of the steam engine room, general cleanup of the island and reconstruction of a shed that would now enclose a bathroom.

The grant funds would come from the state's Environmental Protection Fund under a program administered by the parks agency.
"There are two pips in a beaut, four beauts in a lulu,
Eight lulus in a doozy, and sixteen doozies in a humdinger.

No one knows how many humdingers
there are in a lollapalooza."
Grover
Lt. Commissioner

Return to Mid-Atlantic Lighthouses