|

NJ Lighthouse Challenge scheduled for 10/17 & 10/18

A forum to discuss lighthouses Mid-Atlantic Region of the US
(New York, New Jersey, Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Delaware)

Moderator: beachbum1616

Postby jaymatt1978 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:24 am

jaymatt1978
Keeper

Postby wheland » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:20 am

Weather will be the big story for this year's Challenge-

It's already caused the cancellation of the Raritan Bay Lighthouse Cruise that was to kickoff the NJLHS Challenge.

The Delaware Bay Cruise is in doubt as well.

The weather all weekend is not going to be conducive for people to take this year's Challenge.

This is doubly unfortunate because this may very well be the last NJLHS Lighthouse challenge - at the very least it's the last until at least 2011.

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Postby jaymatt1978 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:46 pm

Does anybody know how the challenge went?? I know the weather wasn;t too helpful but since this was what could be that last challenge for awhile I think people might have taken the extra effort to do it. I couldn't make it because my brother and sister-in-law came to visit.
jaymatt1978
Keeper

Postby wheland » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:06 am

I don't have too much specific info - we were unable to actually volunteer this year or attend. I did fill the position of the Challenge answer man and brochure provider for literally dozens of people prior to the Challenge.

I do know that the Challenge was fairly well attended especially given the weather. There was some difficullty getting to some of the lighthouses due to flooding conditions - for example the roads to the East Point lighthouse were flooded (even worse than they were last year) and because so many were not able to get in they moved the volunteers with the token out to the main road so people could get the token.

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Return to Mid-Atlantic Lighthouses