|

It's been a while...

Just got back from a lighthouse trip? Have you just finished photographing every aspect of one lighthouse? Post the pictures here! Lighthouse-related photos are also welcome.

Postby Hersh » Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:16 pm

...since I've pointed a lens at the lighthouses of St. Joseph, so I decided to do just that today. I was in town to see about finding a retail outlet for my prints, but you know I can't get this close to a lighthouse & not photograph it. Besides, it was a beautiful day and I needed an excuse to be outside for a while.

I decided to skip the usual spots and try shooting the light from up on the bluff in town at Port St & Lake Blvd. This is a long distance from the pier itself, well over half a mile, but with a 400mm lens you can really reach out and touch someone. So, I reached out with the D70 and here's what I touched....

This first one reminds me of a quote from Full Metal Jacket, "You're ugly enough to be a modern art masterpiece." I'm not sure what this thing is, but they tell me it's art, so I have to go with that. But I'd never shot it together with the lighthouse, so I thought it was worth a try. I did about 5-6 compositions with these together, this was my favorite.

This one is also unique, in that there aren't too many evergreen trees on the beach to frame the light like this, so you have to use the ones in town.

This is a marker for the Pioner's Watch. I'm not sure what it is, other than a lookout point, but I thought this would be a cool looking shot as well. If I'd had a tripod I might have tried to stop down & get a larger depth of field, but this wasn't quite that involved of a photo session.

This is the St. Joe USCG station, which is, of course, still active. I remember a while ago someone was asking about this station, so I wanted to make sure I shot it this time. I was glad that the motor lifeboat was docked out front, I was able to get a couple close-ups of it too.

This is the old USLHS depot, which is now the St. Joe River Yacht Club. While I'm definitely not a yacht club type of guy, I am glad that they appear to be taking good care of this beautiful building. Notice the similarity to the tower at fourteen mile point?

Well that's it for this trip, at least for now. Maybe tomorrow I'll get around to a couple close ups of the boat and maybe the depot building, but not tonight. Hope you guys like these, it's always good to get a fresh perspective on an old subject.
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Grover1 » Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:54 pm

Mike,

I saw this quote once and just found it again ...

Abstract art: a product of the untalented sold by the unprincipled to the utterly bewildered.

--- Al Capp

You once remarked to me that if you don't look for the unusual, the "unclassic" shot, you never find it ...

Thanks for the perspectives you shared. I thought they were great.

Barry
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Jen » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:46 pm

Mike, I really like your composition on the very first image you posted. Nicely done with the D70 - isn't the extra reach of the telephoto nice with digital?
Jen
Assistant Inspector

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:54 pm

Mike, your photos are excellent! And abstract or not, I thought the sculpture was pretty cool when I saw it--kinda wild and free looking.

Once again, you're making me REALLY miss St. Joe......... :(
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Postby Hersh » Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:04 pm

Well Leah, I guess you'll just have to come back out this way again !!!!
Mike Hershberger

Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:58 am

I'm trying, Mike.................... :?
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:13 am

I shot a number of the same images from the same locations in December, Hersh... unlike yours, in mine you can barely see the lighthouse for the amount of rain and sleet blowing around... hence I never bothered posting them to this point, but to give you a feel for what it's like when there's a winter storm coming in off the lake...

Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:22 am

I love it, Gary! Brrrrrr!!!!! 8O
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Postby Larry » Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:57 am

Them's some purty pitchers. :D

I like the first one. Looking at it, you actually get the feel of it being early spring. Something about the way the air and the water look. Yeah, I know, you can't see the air, but there's just something about it. Maybe it's the bare tree and the lack of ice on the pier that lets you know that it's spring?

And my first reaction to the sculpture, even before I read the cation was, "What the hell is THAT?"

Did you have any luck finding a retail outlet?
Larry
Larry
Inspector

Postby Hersh » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:37 am

I thought it had a spring like feel too, and man was I glad to see that!!! I'm sick of winter already. As for the retail outlet, the proprieter of the shop wasn't in, so I'm going back tomorrow to meet with her.

I'm glad you guys are enjoying these. I know I was in desperate need of something fresh and different at St. Joe, I was beginning to feel as if I were in a rut when shooting there. This year I'm rally going to work on expanding my horizons when it comes to this kind of stuff.
Mike Hershberger

Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby bert911 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:19 am

Hersh ~

Thanks for posting! My favorite was the shot framed by the trees.

Good luck finding an outlet for your work!

Robert
bert911
Assistant Inspector

Postby beachbum1616 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:38 pm

Nice collection of images!
Stephen

beachbum1616
Lighthouse Master

Postby Hersh » Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:38 pm

Here are a couple more that I shot just today. I was back in St. Joe on my mission to find a retail outlet for my prints (mission failed by the way) and I got out the D70 again to shoot from the south shore of the river.

Here's one I just had to shoot, a gull munching on an ol' dead carp floating towards the lake.

This one shows both the old depot and the USCG station.

This one really caught my eye. This is that goofy modern art masterpiece thingy from the first photo. I wanted to get it blocking the sun, and I was really happy with the way the whole thing ended up looking. Kinda eerie if you ask me.

And this one I shot for those of you who've not been to St. Joe, just to give you an idea of the relative locations of the swing bridge, the lighthouses, the USCG station, and the old depot.
Mike Hershberger

Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby beachbum1616 » Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:42 am

Mike,

I am espeically glad that you posted the last photo showing how everything is located relative to each other.

Thanks for sharing!
Stephen

beachbum1616
Lighthouse Master

Postby Maria » Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:52 am

I happen to like the modern sculpture. It reminds me of a piece of driftwood, and is therefore appropriate for the location.

The LH and depot shots are also excellent. At least you were able to get something positive from your trips.

Thanks for sharing!

8)

Maria
Maria
Head Keeper

Next

Return to Lighthouse Photo Reports