|

Ocracoke Sunset

Just got back from a lighthouse trip? Have you just finished photographing every aspect of one lighthouse? Post the pictures here! Lighthouse-related photos are also welcome.

Postby beachbum1616 » Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:19 pm

Attempting to expand my photography skills, I attempted to get this sunset with the silhouette of the fisherman. Well here is what I got. I wanted to post it eventhough it is quite dark.

one more....

Stephen

beachbum1616
Lighthouse Master

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:01 pm

I like the colour of the water in the first one Stephen but please tell me how can you get a photo of a sunset over water from the East coast. Were you on a peninsula or something similar?
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Gary Martin » Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:58 am

Stephen I assume, to answer Kevin's question that you're shooting west over the sound from Ocracoke Island.

You're trying to photograph a scene that is beyond the dynamic range of the film that you're using. The exposure is about correct for the sunset, but under exposed in the foregrond. There are two ways to deal with this situation. 1) Wait until the sun is below the horizon and then take the shot. When the sun drops below the horizon, you'll still have the color but the range between bright and the foreground will be considerably less and you'll get a more balanced image. 2) Use about a 2 or 3 stop hard edge neutral density filter. With this type of filter you don't alter color in any way but you balance the exposure. The edge is located right on the horizon. Everything above where the neutral density starts is held back by 2 or 3 stops. Everything in the foreground is exposed normally. In other words, if you use a 3 stop filter and take a spot meter reading at the top of the frame you'd be exposed correctly. Another spot meter reading at the bottom would also be exposed correctly.

Hope that this helps. This is about the only way to deal with this sort of situation because the range of light is so wide.
Last edited by Gary Martin on Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Ross » Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:46 am

Graduated ND filters are wonderful inventions :)

Gary's 100% right, of course! Sunsets can be tricky because of the brightness, but keep trying different things!
Ross
LH.net Administrator

Postby beachbum1616 » Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:38 pm

So if I had waited until just after the sunset it would have been possible without the filter? I guess I should have gotten closer to the surf so that the fisherman would have shown up better against the light from the setting sun as well?
Stephen

beachbum1616
Lighthouse Master

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:36 pm

Thanks Gary. As there seems to be a huge expanse of water to the West I discounted an island.
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Gary Martin » Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:01 am

From Ocracoke to the mainland, Kevin, is probably 30+ miles. The mainland is out of site.

The other thing that would help, Stephen is to photograph from a much lower perspective so that the fisherman is silhouetted against the sky rather than superimposed on the dark water.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby beachbum1616 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:22 am

Kevin, if you look under the sun in the photo, you can see a small island known as Portsmouth, Island. There is a LSS there but the only access is by water and we have not attempted to tackle that one yet.
Stephen

beachbum1616
Lighthouse Master

Return to Lighthouse Photo Reports