|

OBLHS Retreat Day 1 - Oak Island

Just got back from a lighthouse trip? Have you just finished photographing every aspect of one lighthouse? Post the pictures here! Lighthouse-related photos are also welcome.

Postby vacastle » Thu May 05, 2005 11:38 am

Here's my one and only shot of the interior which is looking up the ladder stairs. I lightened it so you could see a bit more detail of the ladders.

Judy
New England Lighthouse Lovers
http://www.nell.cc/index.htm
vacastle
Lighthouse Master

Postby beachbum1616 » Thu May 05, 2005 3:12 pm

Why did they use a lader system for stairs? Was it cheaper?
Stephen

beachbum1616
Lighthouse Master

Postby shirin » Thu May 05, 2005 3:30 pm

Well they certainly weren't trying to make things easier on themselves. That would have been too logical! :roll:
shirin
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Zachary » Thu May 05, 2005 5:26 pm

Stephen, did you take pictures inside this tower? The interior looks very interesting.
Zachary
Head Keeper

Postby beachbum1616 » Thu May 05, 2005 5:29 pm

No, I didn't attend day one or three.
Stephen

beachbum1616
Lighthouse Master

Postby Zachary » Fri May 06, 2005 5:34 am

That's understandable.
As for the ladders, I think the reason why they are there is just because of the time the lighthouse was built. It's fairly new. However, those kind of ladders are hard to walk up, I can't believe that someone had to walk up that tall tower with them.
Zachary
Head Keeper

Postby vacastle » Fri May 06, 2005 6:32 am

Perhaps it had to do with time constraints. The lighthouse was completed in eight days. Seems like it would be quicker to install the ladders than to build a spiral staircase.

There are 134 steps on the ship's ladders to the gallery level.

Just guessing. I bought Mr. Brinkley's book Friday night, but haven't had a chance to even look through it.

Judy
vacastle
Lighthouse Master

Postby beachbum1616 » Fri May 06, 2005 3:09 pm

Also to consider, the optics need little maintanence, reducing the number of trips up all those ladders.
Stephen

beachbum1616
Lighthouse Master

Postby vacastle » Mon May 09, 2005 6:50 am

After breezing through Mr. Brinkley's book this weekend, I've found no specific answer about the ladders, but I think this is the reason...

This lighthouse was built per the Coast Guard's specifications and with a tight budget. The USCG engineers were charged with making the tower and light as maintenance free as possible, and able to control remotely. It was also built specifically for the Coast Guard to maintain.
The duty crewmembers from the USCG Cutter Blackberry activates the light. The cutter crew is responsible for all lighthouse maintenance.

From a list of statistics in this book:

The lights are set in two banks, each with four sets of lights and reflectors

Bottom Lens Bank used for inclement weather

Top bank each lens has a two bulb lamp charger, should the bulb burn out the back up rotates into position and activates automatically.

The top bank uses 100-watt quartz bulbs, and the bottom bank originally used mercury bulbs, but now uses halogen bulbs, and the bottom bank is only used 15% of the time (inclement weather).

Mr. Brinkley's book about the construction of the Oak Island Lighthouse contains copies of a complete set of blueprints along with many photographs.

It is soft cover and can be obtained from Mr. Brinkley for $25.00 plus shipping:
    W. F. Brinkley & Son Construction Company Inc.
    Post Office Box 247
    Granite Quarry, NC, 28072

Anything I've quoted here came from his book.

Judy
vacastle
Lighthouse Master

Previous

Return to Lighthouse Photo Reports